SS11 Revolver Review

manufacturer: Silvertone date: 02/08/2006 category: Electric Guitars
Silvertone: SS11 Revolver
Traditional styling, lightweight and sleek, with three single coil pick-ups, the vintage tremolo system and the rosewood fingerboard that invites young hands to play with prolonged enthusiasm.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.4
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.8
 7.4
 7.8
 9,436
reviews (11) pictures (1) 16 comments vote for this gear:
SS11 Revolver Reviewed by: merabharatmahan, on february 08, 2006

Features: It was made in one of the Asian Tiger countries. It has 22 frets. It has a solid painted top. The finish is satin and the body style is Strat. It has a Vintage tremelo system which is pretty decent. It has 2 tone knobs, 1 volume knob and a 5-way Switch. It has 3 single coil pickups and are OK. The tuners are non-locking. It comes with a bag, strap, cable and a amp. All are of decent quality. // 8

Sound: It suits my style of playing(metal and rock) decently and it plays well with the amp and my Zoom pedal. It sometimes can get noisy on high volume. It is not very versatile but is very good for the price. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set-up well and the pickups are adjusted well. The tone knobs are loose and have a possibilty of falling off. The strings started jarring but with a change of strings and some adjusting it became fine. The controls were loose but I got them tightened at my hardware store. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The guitar might withstand live playing but I have never really tried it. The hardware might last but might need a change in a couple on years. I wouldnt use it in gig without a backup. The finish is pretty good and it looks like it will last for quite some time. // 8

Overall Impression: It suits my style of playing really well. I have been playing for a year now and have been impressed by this guitar. I found it good to play and seeing me 2 of my freinds bought the same guitar. It is good and is recommended to all beginners. Experts should go in for a better option. // 8

SS11 Revolver Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 08, 2005

Purchased from: Music World

Sound: I play just about every type of music possible except for punk ('cause it sucks) and classical ('cause it's hard and I can't be bothered to learn to read guitar music). I really didn't like the sound of this guitar too much. The pickups were weak and extremely noisy. The tonal difference between the pickups were fairly good, with twangy sounds coming out of the bridge pickup and fat jazzy tones from the neck up they could have been so much better. I like the sound of Squire Strats better and I don't even like Strats. // 2

Action, Fit & Finish: The action of this guitar was way to high and when I adjusted it even a little it started to buzz. It sucks when you try to play a solo and you get that noise from when the string hits the fretboard. The finish wasn't too bad though. Just plain black with a white fretboard. // 4

Reliability & Durability: The guitar I own has had a few bad bumps but the finish is still clean and clear so it seems solid enough but I doubt that it'll last. I've only had the guitar for about 8 months. I wouldn't use this guitar at a gig just because the crappy sound I get out of it. // 6

Overall Impression: I got this guitar before I knew what guitars were and now I'm sad. Don't get it. There's plenty of starter kits out there that are much better and have better things in them. The only thing I really like about this kit was the strap I got with it. I also own a Jackson JS30 Kelly which is so much better and I'm saving up for an Ibanez S540EX. I only own the amp I got with the kit and I admit that the distortion was alright but there wasn't enough tonal difference in it. This guitar has bad pickups, a bad neck (which only had 21 frets which sucks when you're soloing out) and a shocking bridge. I would not go and buy another one if this got stolen 'cause I'd be laughing at the guy who took it. Don't get this guitar. // 2

SS11 Revolver Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 07, 2004

Purchased from: Pacific Music

Features: - Chrome Precision Die-Cast Tuners - Maple Neck - 25-1/2 scale - Rosewood Fingerboard - Comes in 4 Colour Package - 21 Frets - Limited Life Time Warranty - 3 high output single-coil pickups - Colors: Black, Red, Traditional Sunburst, Cobalt Blue, White - 5-way selector Switch - Unverb. Preisempfehlung: 143.- - 1 volume / 2 tone controls - Chrome Vintage tremolo // 10

Sound: I love to play music punk, and rock. It fits my music style perfectly. I use an RMS amp and it is the perfect match with my SS11. It can be very noisy on distortion but it sounds fabuliuos. It has has a perfect sound. The guitar can go clean and dirty(dist). I love everything about my guitar and there is nothing that I don't like about it! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar setup at the factory is fabulous. It's pickup's adjusted great. It has a properly mounted bridge and a bookmatched top. The guitar was made perfectly, it has no flaws what-so-ever. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I know that the hardware on this guitar will last forever. I could depend on the Revolver SS11 for the rest of my life. I know that it can withstand live playing. The strap buttons are rock solid. And anybody that used it could not fail or break. It would never need a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I love to play rock. It is the perfect match for my type of music. I have been playing for one year and I own one other guitar. If it was stolen or lost i would buy it again and again. I love everything about it and there is nothing that I hate about it. My favorite feature is putting it on distortion. It can distroy most other guitars out there. // 10

SS11 Revolver Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 11, 2004

Purchased from: Oceanside Music Supply

Features: My Silvertone was made in 2002 and in Japan. It has 22 medium frets. It is laminated top. It has a maple body and neck. Has a satin finish and is a Strat styled body. It has a floyd rose tremolo and active elctronics. It has two tone knobs and one volume knob. It has a five way selector with some single coil pick-ups. // 6

Sound: I really love this guitar. The only complaint is the single coil pickups. Other than that the guitar has great tone. It has really suited my needs as far as my music playing and style goes. I play heavy metal mostly and classic heavy metal every now and then with it. I play out of a crate full stack usually with a Boss DS-1 and a boss flanger and everyonce and a while some overdrive and chorus. I am a back pickup player so I am not really switching my selector too often and I am actually planning on disconnecting the neck pickup. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came perfect from the factory. I have really no complaints except the pickups catch other frequencies. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have played this guitar many of times at gigs with no backup guitars. It is pretty much my main guitar for gigs. Ill Switch guitars if I'm playing something in normal tuning but other than that the Silvertone is my favorite guitar. Everthing on it is really solid and has lasted a while without any replacing of anything. // 10

Overall Impression: I play music much like that of many of the NWOAHM (new wave of american heavy metal) bands. For me this guitar works. // 10

SS11 Revolver Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 18, 2005

Sound: It's basically a Strat, sounds like a Strat and for what you pay has a good sound. Basically what you use a Strat for you could use this for. Bear in mind this guitar is for beginners so you get is what you payed for and you get alot! The tone controls aren't that responsive but in the extreme positions (1 or 10) they do let out some hint that they exist and serve a purpose (even it is minute). The amp isn't the greatest though. When distortion is pumped to the max, it hisses at you as if it's complaining. Turn it down to 9 and it's ok. I've had mine for about a year and only now have the inputs come loose, requiring some jiggling to get a connection (not leads, I've checked)but it lasted a while and for bedroom practice it's reliable enough and it's very loud, the amps got a lot of spirit, just not on max distortion. Guitar's sound is excellent and amp is ok. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Made in some Asian country by some twelve year old kid but they seem to know what they're doing. Like I said, I've had mine a year and never tightened any screws. Everything is one firmly so it seems to be finished quite nicely, no ugly marks or actually noticeable. I've scrutinised every inch and can't find anything (good neck). Finish is very good especially for a guitar of this calibre. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand liveplaying but most would upgrade before playing live. This is also a beginner guitar so a beginner playing live is some confidence but the guitar can deliver. Hardware seems strong. Like I've said, I've had the guitar for the year and while I haven't played live I have to some degree run it through drills simulating live playing (jumping, spinning you know when the music takes control). Good strap buttons are very solid and like I said finish will last, but don't play without a backup guitar, Murphys law will prevail and if you can afford two guitars rather upgrade to a better guitar (in a higher class as this is easily one of the best beginner guitars in my opinion). // 9

Overall Impression: Good guitar, good finish, versatile and handsome or rather pretty (mine's a girl). I honestly did not compare it to other guitars a s I was beginning and what did I know? I just took it but with hindsight I would have taken a "better known" brand stupidly and payed more even though this guitar delivers. If it were stolen I'd be without a guitar for a while (only a pathetic acoustic to play on) but would hang in there and save for a better guitar like an Epi or something but this is a awesome guitar and if your beginning give it a try if you like (I'm pretty sure it will impress). Even if you take another guitar give respect where respect is due and the Silvertone deserves respect! // 10

SS11 Revolver Reviewed by: Pwrchordsrevil, on october 19, 2005

Purchased from: Hastings Entertainment

Features: Features a Maple fretboard, 3 single coiled pick ups, 5-way selector, 1 volume/2 tone nobs, and 22 frets. Mine personally is a double cutaway, solid body, black finish with a Strat style head. The pickups are passive, and single coil as mentioned before. // 6

Sound: This guitar does okay for my style of music, and I play a lot of heavier metal. With a light amount of distortion (or the nob just set to zero with the distortion on) the guitar has a good crunchy, clear tone to it. However if you put distortion any higher, the pickups start to make it sound like crap. Not good at all with no distortion. Also, set on high volume, the pick ups are very sensitive and tend to pick up other devices such as monitors and things like that. Also, when sliding with the amp on it sounds terrible for some reason, and it's not my playing. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up quite well from the factory, and the action was set perfectly. The pickups were adjusted half way to the strings, 3 down, evenly spaced, with the bridge pick up slanted. The guitar never had any finish flaws, and even after playing with it for a good six months now the finish looks quite good. Barely any small scratches at all. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't recommend this guitar for live playing. The standard nut that came with it snapped on me one day and I wasn't even playing that hard. Took 50 dollars to replace. However this is a good beginners guitar, and it is a good practice and maybe backup guitar. The strap buttons are quite solid, however the the strap that came with it is quite bad. // 8

Overall Impression: For what my skills were when I bought the guitar I thought it was a very good buy. Six months later however I would only recommend this to guitars that do not play live, and those only beginning to play. If it were stolen or lost I would still be upset just because it's currently my only guitar, but I wouldn't go out and buy the same model again. The one thing I love about this guitar is the fretboard, which is nice and easy to play on. // 5

SS11 Revolver Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 01, 2005

Purchased from: Sam Goody

Features: I bought this guitar five or six years ago, as my first guitar. Not knowing much about guitars, I chose this one for its looks and price. I compared this guitar to a friends Squire Strat recently, and noticed several differences: the neck on the Silvertone is a little thinner, the tuners are a little more stable, the body is a little thinner as well as lighter (good for long playing). These are the major differences, and I believe the Silvertone to be the better buy for a starter guitar. // 9

Sound: This guitar sounds like a Strat. The downside of this guitar is almost certainly the Smart III amp that came with it. The amp is horrendous. If you turn up the volume to half, it will start to distort. Badly. the sound it produces is always muddy, and the included overdrive is really fuzzy. So, buy a different amp before upgrading your guitar. The guitar has a good sound otherwise. On a side note, I've kept my amp around because I actually enjoy the horrendousness of the amp turned up all the way on clean. I've used it on at least two recordings. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up well, some things I changed. I acidently dropped the guitar once, breaking the nut. I bought a brand new graphtech nut and saddles, greatly (I mean really awesomely) helped the sound. The clarity is incredibly better. Everything else was spot on. Oh, except for the 5-way pickup selector. That became a little noisy when switching. I think it just needs a cleaning. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar takes a beating. Mine is chipped everywhere, but still plays fine. I would use this guitar as a backup maybe. I stopped playing it when I bought other electrics, but I recently pulled it out again. I forgot how this guitar makes me smile. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is fine for beginners, and as long as the amp is replaced, the guitar will sound fine. The only reasons to upgrade are as follows: you want a guitar with humbucking pickups for a fatter sound or you want a guitar that displays a much more well known name on the headstock. But hey, Paul Stanley loves his Silvertone. Not that I like Paul Stanley, but still. // 10

SS11 Revolver Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 09, 2007

Purchased from: Wal*Mart

Features: As my first electric guitar, I didn't know what to expect from the Silvertone Revolver. This is a great first guitar, it features two tone control knobs, a five-way pickup Switch, and a volume knob. It has a nice black finish and the ever-so-classic Stratocaster look. It also comes with a whammy bar, which is great, especially on a cheap guitar. It only has 22 frets though. // 9

Sound: The sound for the most part is great, it can pretty much suit whatever you are playing. Not too heavy, not too soft. Just right. On the downside, though, it has a soft hum when you turn the volume up. Also, it does come untuned fairly quickly. This guitar is awesome for softer songs, and perfect for classical. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I have had some issues with this 3 year-old guitar now, mainly, almost every screw has come off or became loose at one point, both tone knobs don't work, and the whammy bar is getting really loose. The black finish looks great, although to spruce it up a bit (come on, I am in a rock band after all) I added a few car decals to it (it looks better now). // 4

Reliability & Durability: This guitar's action is crazy, I literally played until I was bleeding (my finger caught on a string) one time, and this guitar was awesome the entire way through. The knobs and screws are horrible on this guitar, and I recommend getting them replaced or something. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a great guitar for beginners. If you don't mind the hardware flaws that may be there, then definitely get this guitar. Come on! Get it! Right now! Go! Sheesh. Perfect for classical, this guitar is. I suggest getting a B.C. Rich or Axl guitar if you want to play metal, though. // 8

SS11 Revolver Reviewed by: Strat = Love, on august 06, 2007

Purchased from: a friend

Features: It was made in 2004 possibly in Indonesia and has 21 frets on a rosewood fretboard. It has a nice black finish and is a Strat style guitar. It has a string thru bridge and 3 single coil pickups (like a Strat). The neck pickup, middle and staggered bridge pickup setup. It has one volume and 2 tone control nobs (volume control works well, tone knobs do next to nothing). Non locking tuners I believe as when you use the tremolo (Vintage style floating tremolo) the guitar de-tunes very fast. It came with an awful Smart III's 10W amp with OD and 2 band EQ, a cheap gig bag, strap, picks, tuner, short cable (died on me quickly) and an extra set of 10 gauge strings. // 8

Sound: It suits my style, as I like to play some blues and rock music. after about six months of suffering through the crappy little 10W it came with, I bought a Vox AD30VT 30 watt hybrid amp, which is amazing. The sounds I can get out of my guitar with this amp are incredible. It is pretty quiet (but with the included amp, very noisy) even when cranked on a nice amp it doesn't make a lot of noise. It has a good sharp blues sound to a good overdriven or distorted rock sound. I think it has decent variety. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought it off a friend who had it for a couple of years before I got it and the action was still adjusted almost perfectly. I get a little buzz on the low E string, but it is a simple fix. The pickups are just the right distance from the strings but tend to pick up other things as well, which creates some buzz, but once again, not bad. No flaws came with the guitar, not that I can tell anyway. After a lot of playing however, a couple of the tuners don't adjust very well. They stay in tune just fine, but are awkward to adjust. Could use new tunes. There is also a bit of noise when you change pickup selection and one of the settings puts out no sound at all. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I have never played Live with it, but it seems very sturdy. I have had no problems, and the guitar is built like a rock. I'm guessing that this guitar could be depended on without a backup. Haven't had any trouble with it what'soever. Very nice finish, It resists scratching very well, but does seem to dent rather easily. Strap buttons are like rocks, no problems there. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar suits me perfectly, because I love strats, but right now am just a beginner (been playing for about a year total, but had a year hiatus in between) but with this guitar I have been playing for six months. As I said earlier, I own a Vox AD30VT 30 watt hybrid amp and a footswitch for it. I love this guitar and I can say without a doubt it is the best beginners guitar out there. Solid construction, good sound, low price and classic styling make this one a winner. If it was stolen, I pity the guy Who stole it. The only thing I wish it came with was better tuners. // 8

SS11 Revolver Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 24, 2010

Purchased from: A friend

Features: My Silvertone Revolver was made in 2004 in Japan. 21 frets on Rosewood fingerboard and Maple Neck. 25 1/2 inch scale. It has very nice Jumbo frets. I think the body is Alder or Poplar maybe Agathis; I'm not sure. It kinda sounds like my alder Strat so maybe poplar. The neck is rock maple. It has a satin black finish. It has a beautiful Stratocaster style body with a cool looking pickguard. It is a Strat styled string-thru body bridge with whammy bar. Passive electronics. The controls are just like any Strat: 1 volume, 2 tone and an extremely smooth and quiet 5-way selector switch. The original pickup configuration was 3 high output single-coil pickups; My configuration is a full-sized humbucker pickup in the bridge position (I cut a bigger hole)and the two original single coils in the neck and mid positions. The tuners are stock non-locking tuners and they work great. I probably won't replace them. // 10

Sound: It suits my music style well, I play punk rock and the humbucker gushes tone out of this beautiful Strat. I use my Fender sidekick 10 with it. It's only a little noisy on the single coils (duh, thet're supposed to be). The humbucker is very rich and noiseless. Honestly this guitar sound exactly like a Fender. It's lush, warm and has loads of sustain. This guitar can play any genre from blues to metal. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything was perfect when I got it, very well filed fret wire and smooth edges. The selector was a little fuzzy on swithching at first but nothing a little WD-40 didn't fix. It was well set up. I replaced the saddles because they looked a little too rough for the strings but I never had a problem with them while they were on. It was great from the start. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will last forever. I use it live with no other guitar within miles and have not care in the world. It came stock with aa neck cushion (rubber/plastic cushion that goes between the guitar body and the neck plate to prevent wear on the finish and relieve pressure from the body) to protect it. The strap buttons are like mushrooms about 3/4 of an inch around and your strap (assuming it's a halfway decent strap) will not come off. The finish resists everything I've put it through, so, I'm not worried. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Punk Rock and this is a perfect match. I've been playing for about a year and have owned about a dozen guitars and various amps and effects. If it were stolen, I'd hunt it down and smash the robbers face in. I love every single thing about it. I compared it with Fender and Fender copy strats. It has everything I need and then some. // 10

SS11 Revolver Reviewed by: dawgzfan66, on december 23, 2010

Purchased from: Wally World (Wal-Mart)

Features: This Guitar came with one cable, a strap, cable, a couple of crap picks, a crappy carrying case, and an amp. Its all decent stuff until you use it. Its a pretty lil guitar, gloss black with a white pick guard. It has 2 tone knobs, but apparently don't work on anything because they all sound pretty crappy. But, I don't care how exicted you are to play smoke on the water for your first time ever, the first thing to do is change out all the strings that it comes with. // 6

Sound: I play a lot of different genres: metal, grunge, blues, etc. The amp that came with it had an overdrive effect which is okay. BUT the pickup quality is GARBAGE! It picks up everything but what I'm playing! I even bought a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal to maybe try to cover that terrible quality up.....it didn't work. Also, you cannot hear the high e string for anything and the low E isn't very clear either. Never heard of a 4-string guitar. To be honest, the only kind of music you can play on this guitar and not look like a douchebag stereotype or sound terrible is blues (Stevie Ray and the like). Its gotten to the point where I can't plug it up anymore. It has become an acoustic. Sad, I know. The first song I learned to play was One by Metallica so I know its not me. It won't sound clear for something pretty nor will it get crunch for some All That Remains. // 2

Action, Fit & Finish: The neck design is nice and simple with easy access to the higher frets. However, I am constantly having to fix my bridge because it keeps popping out of place. Replacing strings is pretty simple. I don't know why it comes with a pickup selector because theres only one selection that doesn't constantly ckkckjckcchsshksschkhschscskhksh! at you. The headstock is great and prob the best part of this guitar. And the nice black finish is just too good-looking to do anything else. // 7

Reliability & Durability: DON'T PLAY IN FRONT OF FRIENDS! WILL DESTROY CONFIDENCE! Haha, naw but they will be there to support you...Blue Harvest reference...anyone?... Anyway, the body neck and head are all very durable. The pretty black finish is pretty much there for all eternity. The pickups and electronic work won't stand up to anything...NOT UNLESS THEY'VE BEEN TOUCHED BY MEGAN FOX! Haha, naw but it does sound really terrible. // 7

Overall Impression: Like I've said, I play mostly metal, grunge, and blues and blues it the only thing you'll get out of it. The sound quality is terrible, unclear, and you'll never use it outside of home. If you're a beginning guitarist, great! But as you progress and get better, you're gonna need something to keep up with your style and skill, and this ain't gonna cut it. This was my first guitar and after about a year of playing it, I need something else, something that can play MUSE and Lamb of God in the flip of a Switch (or effect, whatever). Being my first guitar I had to name it; her name is Sylvia; she has a Russian accent and enjoys it when I tickle her bridge...lol sorry. If someone stole this guitar I'd lose sentimental value. That's it. Its got a nice easy sit-down-and-play access and body, but other than that, I'm not recommending this to anyone except beginners, if that. I've played guitars ranging from a Flying-V to an Explorer to a B.C. Rich Warlock (which is the only other guitar I own) and they all sounded good with my amp and other equipment. I've been playing for about a year and am ready to hand this guitar down to my sister who will never plug it up. So in conclusion, buy this guitar if you're planning on playing for a week and never getting any better. Not recommended for serious guitarists because you'll wind up wasting your money and having to upgrade several times. But, it got me started! // 4

Comments