Fly Style Electric Guitar review by Skylark

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Skylark: Fly Style Electric Guitar

Purchased from: Skylark Guitars Ltd

The stock pups can sound quite noisy. The coil tap on single coil gives a brighter tone without associated hum; the buckers have some beef but the tone becomes muddy easily, especially with high gain. Despite the huge variety of tonal options the actual tones produced don't differ that much between pups. Would probably be WAY better with upgraded pups...

A fine guitar for all sorts of styles for beginners but would need quite a bit spending on upgraded parts for it to be giggable (lots of potential for this). Maybe I had a duff bridge on mine. For the looks alone this is a very very good guitar and I am actually gutted that the floyd and pups have let me down. So far, service from Skylark seems very good - Steve is a really nice helpful guy. Recommended, noting the comments on the floyd.

I am going to return it as the floyd would not stay in tune, despite re-stringing and balancing it correctly. I suspect as above the instability was caused by the poor quality steel used by the Chinese manufacturer which sheared off when I lowered the action and made the knife edge rough so the bridge didn't return to pitch correctly.

Action was medium-high out of the box. Dropping it caused some metal to shear off the floyd bridge, which I think led to instability. Otherwise the finish and hardware were excellent for the price. Pickups & wiring etc all seemed to function correctly. The finish and the neck were very good indeed considering the price point. No duff frets, playable right up to the 24th on every string, and the inontation was almost spot on out of the box. Very good.

Made this year or last, I reckon - Chinese origin. Parker Fly copy with a slim body (basswood, very light) in black; maple neck, rosewood fingerboard with mythic beast inlay at 12th fret; position markers on side. Two passive humbuckers and a single coil between them. 3-way switch for pups and a toggle coil tap for the buckers. Licensed Floyd Rose double locking bridge. Chrome knurled knobs and hardware. Skylark own stlyle headstock with their logo inlay. A VERY nice looking guitar, and for the money, fantastic value appointments.

Semperfidelis23
    I looked on their website, but nothing really stood out to me, seems like just another cheap custom company trying making semi hollows and resonaters.
    .QOTSA.
    [quote]Chinese origin. Parker Fly copy with a slim body/quote] [quote]mrrman : looks like a Parker guitar/quote] Yeah you would hope so...
    CloudsofGrass
    3lusiv3
    CloudsofGrass
    3lusiv3 wrote: CloudsofGrass wrote: I went on the Skylark Guitars website and some of their stuff looks like one hell of a good deal. Although they don't seem to have any idea how to install a Floyd Rose (WTF?? A NON-recessed floyd?), or what a locking nut is. Still for the asking price, I think it'd be well worth it to buy one and invest all that left over cash on pickups and stuff. I'm seriously considering buying one of their guitars now. You've never seen a non-recessed Floyd or a guitar with a Floyd and no locking nut?
    I've seen them before, but making a Floyd non-recessed kind of defeats the point of having it in the first place IMO. And as for a Floyd with no locking nut, that's just ridiculous, how could you possibly hope to play a whole song when merely placing the palm of your hand on the bridge knocks it out of tune?