SP1 review by Slammer

• Reviewer's score: 1.2 Junky
Slammer: SP1

Price paid: C$ 100

Purchased from: Pawn Shop

Metal style, I play punk although it doesn't suit it very well. Has a nice crunch and loud bass although not very versatile. Not really noisy, I was using it with a no-brand 30 watt amp. It can barely play metal and that's it.

I play punk and this sucks for it and it's very hard to palm mute. I've been playing for a year and own a Squier by Fender Deryck Whibley Telecaster which is a BIG improvement. I asked alot of questions with little answers (even online). If it were stolen or lost I'd save up for Epiphone or Squier both of which would be a gigantic improvement.

I hate everything about it other than it being easy to access from the back so it's very adjustable although I don't think better pickups would make this sound any better. I compared it to Epiphones, Squiers, Gibsons and Fenders after I bought this from the pawn shop. I didn't really have a choice as this was the only guitar they had. I sold it for 50$ to someone else. I wish I had more info on this and a better body, better finish, better neck and fretboard and better pickups so basically a new guitar. If this was lost or stolen I wouldn't care and I would definitely replace it with ANYTHING else, the amp it came with was terrible. The only thing worthwhile about spending your money on this was the 2 $30 dollar cables and the 50$ gig bag so basically you get 10$ more than what you pay for although it's still a pretty bad buy.

1 Gig then strings replaced twice. Lasts 10 years tops. Strap buttons tend to slip alot. The finish was full of cracks and easily wears off alot.

Guitar setup was ok the pickups had to be tweaked, the fret wire was quite poor and were a bit rusty.

There was no information on it what'soever (online or the owner of the store) 22 medium jumbo frets Rosewood Fretboard and maple neck. Solid guitar. Comes in Black or Red. Gibson style bridge with 2 (unknown) humbuckers. 3 way pickup selector and 2 volume and 1 tone knob. Non locking tuners. Came with gig bag, strap, 2 cables and amp.

rv_phoenix
    dragonkidkoga
    rv_phoenix wrote: If a Squier or an Epi would be a gigantic improvement, why the hell did you buy it, after all??? Although an entry-level, I don't think it deserves such low ratings: I think you just don't know to play (and you don't know a thing about guitars: measuring its scale is such an easy job, it doesn't require any manual at all...). How can you "review" a guitar when you don't own a proper amp? As someone keeps on saying, here, at the UG, a good player can make ANY guitar sing.
    rv_phoenix
    dragonkidkoga wrote: rv_phoenix wrote: I didn't have a choice when i bought it. The amp CAME with it, it was a PACKAGE. The last statement is not true, I had people who were playing 10 years say it wasn't good and that i had to change it. it's a review not an argument. if you haven't owned it, then don't say things. I plucked the E string individually once and it didn't sound that good. it did last me a bit though
    It seems to me that you didn't get the point. There is always a choice, when confronted to a bad axe: don't buy it. No matter how cheap it is, just don't buy it. It works the same for amps, effects pedals etc. Then, I wanted to suggest you that throwing straight 1s has as much relevance as throwing straight 10s: none. Last but not least, I wasn't making a comment on your guitar. I made a comment on your review. You don't seem to understand that one cannot make a review of an electric guitar when playing it on a lousy amp. This isn't a review, it is only an opinion. A legitimate one, by all means. However, I'd prefer to read such opinions in an 'Opinions' section, not in a 'Reviews' one. Btw: buying a guitar withouht knowing its scale says something about your expertise. Not a flattering thing, I'm afraid.
    dragonkidkoga
    You're right, I should've waited until I did a review.
    Lucifarion
    OK so I just got one of these for $45cdn with a jekyl and hyde distortion pedal... the review is totally unfair. I have been playing for 17yrs and I have to say the neck is great it's waide and flat and a great for metal. the body is really close to a les paul jr double cut. it's heavy as hell. the frets are really well dressed, and the fret board is very fast and smooth. having played a few of the mentioned squier telecasters (the deryck whibley model) i was definitely less then impressed with them. for what the SP1 is it's a pretty decent guitar... it's far from a gibson or a fender for electronics and pick-ups but all in all a fun lil axe. I will do a full review of it once i get it all set-up, but even as it was when i got it (covered in dust, a few minor scrapes here and there, etc) it's much better then the reviewer states.