XP1 Standard review by Slammer

Slammer: XP1 Standard

Purchased from: eBay

This guitar suits my musical style (Guns N'Roses, The Scorpions, Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin, AC/DC etc.) pretty much perfectly with me Marshall MG15DFX amp and Boss OS-2 overdrive/distortion pedal. The sound is very bright and it can make a sweet variety of sounds.

I play mainly '70s rock and '80s metal, a very good match for this guitar. I've been playing for about 5 months now and the only things I've bought for this guitar other then my Marshall amp and boss pedal is a Hamer XP-1 standard hard shell case which is a b--ch to lug around but it's bulletproof. If I lost or had this guitar stolen I would probably try to upgrade to a Les Paul, SG or Gibson Explorer but that's just becase I always want the best and for the money I spent on this guitar, it's hella good. I chose this this over Sqiuers and Fenders because of how it looked mainly. It's so much more bad ass then any other Strat out there. The only thing I wish this had was a whammy bar but that could be attached later.

This guitar would without a doubt survive live playing. Everything seems like its built to last, the only problem here is the strap comes off the strap buttons occasionally (although not too often) so I would recomend locking buttons. I'd play a gig without a backup because I trust my guitar, the worst case scenario while playing this guitar in a gig is a string breaks, a normal risk. Excelent relability and durability.

The guitar was set up pretty well at the factory, my only problem was a missing truss rod cover but that doesnt really affect much at all. The pickups work fine although I do notice while tapping on the high e string the sound fades out. My only other problem other then broken strings (my own fault) was that the nut where u plug the cable into my guitar came off and I almost lost the whoel thing inside my guitar, I was lucky I had pliers handy.

My guitar is a 2004 model made in Indonesia. 22 frets, 3/4 scale, with a thin neck for fast action. The guitar is solid body wood, probably whatever Hamer had left lying around although it looks and feels nice and the neck is maple with a rosewood fingerboard, your standard set up. The finish is a red flamed top Explorer body, looks very nice and it has a Tune-O-Matic bridge. You're given 2 volume controls, a treble control and a tone Switch. My guitar has 2 humbuckers although I have no idea who makes them, I can only assume Hamer makes them and its the same deal with the chrome tuner pegs.