ELB Review

manufacturer: Soho date: 06/15/2007 category: Electric Guitars
Soho: ELB
Soho's ELB with set-neck construction, hard maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, basswood body. 24.75" / 22 frets, die cast tuner, Tune-O-Matic bridge, 2V. 2T. 3-way toggle, 2H pickups, Gold hardware.
 4.2
 3.6
 4.8
review (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
ELB Reviewed by: Metalrocker24, on june 15, 2007

Purchased from: The Guitar World

Features: This guitar features a 24.75" / 22 frets attached to a rosewood fretboard. The neck is hard maple and the body is made of basswood. The neck is 14" to 16" and has a fat neck. It is solid top. The finish that I have is black with white binding. The body shape is a mix of a Les Paul and a Wolfgang. The bridge is a Standard tune-o-matic with 2 passive humbucker pickups. The pickup company is a no-name. The the controls are 2 tone, 2 volume and a 3-way LP Switch. The tuners are die-cast and stay in tune surprisingly well. If you haggle you can get a free gig bag and 10 free picks. // 5

Sound: The sound is really muddy and the pickups are just terrible. They are suppost to buck the humming but no it doesn't. There is an incredible amount of feedback coming while playing. My amps is a Fraynor T30/GR 1X12 250watts 8 ohms. The amp is perfectly fine and works really well. The settings I use is the Van Halen ones on this site. The pups don't have as much attack as I would have wanted but they are alright for such a low price. // 2

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up at The Guitar World so I wouldn't know. The Guitar World set it up perfectly. The action is somewhat low and the pups where all set up. The guitar was ready to pick up and play. The guitar I have had many screw ups by Soho. When it arrived to The Guitar World the headstock cracked so they fixed it. The paint has many ripples on it but than again they put it on sale for 200$ less. The frets where nice and slippery at first than slowly are going down. The electronics are well assembled and there is no loose wires anywhere. // 3

Reliability & Durability: I played this guitar Live and it survived. The hardware is a golden finish and after about 1 year of playing its slowly turning silver. No problems with the strap buttons at all but I would feel safer with locks. I have to depend on it for it is the only guitar I have. If this one goes down than so do I. The finish seems intact and has no paint coming off because of playing. // 4

Overall Impression: I play some metal, some death metal and it doesn't match with the guitar. I have been been playing for 2 years with around 1 hour of practice a day. I also own a Zoom G2. Before I bought this I wish I would have looked around more because now that I see the fret clearance is horrible. The set neck is in the way and reaching the 22nd fret is a good strech. Compared to a real Les Paul this is harder to reach. If this guitar was stolen or lost there is no way I would buy it again. I love that it was my first guitar so it has setimental value to me and that it has a clean non cluttered look. I hate that it is really heavy which sucks at gigs when you want to solo. If I could change anything it would be that the frets would be easier to access to. When I first bought it I was an idiot and choose this one because it was half off (original 400$). For 200$ I wish I had chosen some other shape like the SG one or the Strat-like shape. Soon my 5150 guitar will be finished so I don't mind playing with it until that day comes. // 4

Comments