Rat Rod review by Sparrow

Sparrow: Rat Rod

I like classic rock. Mainly david gilmour and I can get pretty damn close with this guitar. I use a Fender vypyr (set on the classic 30 amp) modeler thru a Boss giga delay, Boss blues driver-2 and a byoc proco rat. The natural sound is loud, rich and full, just like you would expect from a les style guitar. The natural sustain on this thing is fantastic! Its hums are not noisy at all. Now thru pedals, I can get a bright soaring sound. Its not quite Strat bright, but all and all, most can't tell the difference. You can get any sound you want from hard rock to punk to country. Very flexible in the sound department.

I play classic rock to outlaw country. No hard heavy, speed metal shit for me. Sorry fellas. I've been playing about 2 years, not great, but workin on that. I own a Traveler Ultra light, a lucero classical electric, a Roland vg-8, Boss gd-20, rc-20xl, ph-3, bd-2, ge-7, tu-2, byoc rat, Peavey Vypyr 15w. If this were stolen I would be pissed, the guitar is unique in color, fits like a glove and was affordable. I love most everything about it. I compared this to a Fender relic series 60's tele and an Epiphone lp. Couldn't afford the worn looking tele and Sparrow won hands down against the epi. First guitar to own and still my favorite.

If Boss made a guitar, it would be a damn sparrow. Its built like an old 70's coupe deville, heavy as hell and quality parts. I'm sure you could crack skulls with the bastard and barely dent it. I replaced my strap buttons with locking straps, to be on the safe side, but there is no reason to have a back up, unless you're needing different tunings quickly or a different sound. Play this live, that's what it needs!

It was set up perfectly. All I have done to the damn thing over the last two years is tune it. Action is low and quite responsive. The neck feels natural in your hands and the tuners hold up nicely. The Rat Rod is one heavy bastard, just like an old lester, some don't care for that. The guitar must go thru a pretty good inspection before it leaves the shop because everything from the neck, nut and output is level, tight and ready to go the day you get your hands on it. The finish is unbelieveable. I have looked for a similar shade of dark blue in other guitars from fender, gibson, etc. And nothing is close. Most are too dark, while others are really shiny. Perfect paint on this bastard.

All Rat Rods include: Mahogany/Maple Body Rosewood Fingerboard 24 Scale Length Grover Tuners Bone Nuts Full-Size Potentiometers Shielded Cavities Custom Hand-Finishes Mine is the Rat Rod pro, its an "lp" modeled guitar and is the greatest shade of blue I have ever seen in a guitar. This was the first guitar I ever bought and I love it. Mine came with a Sparrow hard shell case for free and when I emailed the company to tell them how much I enjoyed the axe, they mailed me free buttons, stickers, a polish cloth and a set of strings! Now, that's pretty damn good service.

gorehound1313
    I've had 2 Sparrow Twangmasters(T-type) and I've ordered one of their new Handmade models. Handmade in Canada, pine body, birds-eye maple fingerbd, Esquire type for @$1100cdn! They make everything themselves except the tuners. I have always found that they are set-up right, from the factory and the paint/finish is excellent. They have one of the best Guitar paint shops in Canada. Here's the new models- http://www.sparrowguitars.com/blacks
    R33mus
    Petey D
    R33mus : were you talking about my review or cowfarts comment? i love my sparrow and try to encourage people to pick one up.
    I was talking about the comment. Notice my screen name, I wrote the first review. Sparrow's are awesome. I just bought a Big Daddy Ace, review to follow in a few months after I've had time to break it in. Cheers, Petey D
    RatRod
    Sparrows are good guitars and stunning in person. Hard to find now but encorev.com has some great deals on them.