Rat Rod Review

reviews (2) 9 comments vote for this gear:
Rat Rod Reviewed by: Petey D, on november 21, 2008

Price paid: C$ 800

Purchased from: HotRod Guitars

Features: My RatRod, was made in 2007 in Asia somewhere, then hand assembled and hotrodded in Vancouver BC Canada. It's a 24 3/4 scale guitar with 24 jumbo frets made of stainless steel on a fat rosewood fretboard inlaid with classic trapazoids. Both the body & the neck are Mahogany, the body having a laminated maple top. It's finished in Metalic Red with beautifuly hand painted cream to yellow flames outined in green pinstriping. The finish is nothing short of beautiful. The RatRod is a LesPaul style guitar nicely equipped with 3 way switched Kent Armstrong Alnico style Humbuckers, and a Tune o matic type bridge kept in tune with Grover machine heads in conjunction with a bone nut. Tone and volume are manipulated using individual fullsized pots which are nestled in shielded cavities to reduce excess noise. Included with my RatRod was a pack of extra strings, a cleaning kit and some misc Sparrow Swag. // 10

Sound: My RatRod is perfectly suited to play punk alt & hard rock, which I play, and by rolling back on the tone and volume controls can produce great blues and even jazzy tones. This guitar is as versetile as any Gibson LesPaul ever to roll off the line. I play my RatRod through a Standard issue Crate FlexWave 120 HalfStack, but I've also plugged it into the Fender FM100 HS, A Beringer 100w SS HS of some description, and the Marshall JCM 2000 of a good friend of mine, all with beautiful results. This guitar plays well through everything. The Kent Armstrong P ups are a tiny bit muddy when heavily distorted, but the overall sound is still excellent. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Hand set up at the factory in Vancouver, there's nothing to complain about. This guitar was clearly painstakingly assembled and set up, with attention paid to the smallest detail. Action Fit & Finish are all excellent! No dents, dings or scratches, everything works like it should. The action is set nice and low, no fretbuzz, or pick up noise. Great set up from the factory. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I feel confident that My RatRod will stand up to the beating a plan to lay on it playing Live. This is one sturdy chunk of mahogany, and knowing that it was hand assembled here in Canada makes me feel really good about the workmanship. I would definately gig it with no back up. No hesitation. My only issue ist with the strap buttons which are average at best. They will be replaced with Schaller strap locks shortly. // 9

Overall Impression: I have been playing guitar for around 15years now, in Alt Rock, Punk and Hard Rock bands, and this guitar seems tailor made for this type of music, I mean hell, it's painted up like a 50s-60s hotrod! I also own a PRS SE Standard, and a HotRodded LesPaul copy, both played through my Crate HalfStack. I have owned several other guitars, including a 72 Strat and an 89 LesPaul Studio, and I am happier with my Sparrow than any of them. For guitar of this quality, and with these features from another company, I'd expect to pay more than twice the money. The day I bought my RatRod (which is a Boss model btw, ) I directly compared it to a used Gibson LesPaul on sale at HotRod guitars for a cool $1k, and I had previously played similar higher end Ibanez & Dean guitars and I decided on the Sparrow. Just as much playability as the Gibson, more features and less money. Seemed like a smart move to me. Plus I just love the paint job! In my opininion, the Sparrow guitar is only lacking in the strap button area, & I wish it had come with a hard case. // 10

Rat Rod Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 29, 2010

Features: All Rat Rods include: Mahogany/Maple Body Rosewood Fingerboard 24 Scale Length Grover Tuners Bone Nuts Full-Size Potentiometers Shielded Cavities Custom Hand-Finishes Mine is the Rat Rod pro, its an "lp" modeled guitar and is the greatest shade of blue I have ever seen in a guitar. This was the first guitar I ever bought and I love it. Mine came with a Sparrow hard shell case for free and when I emailed the company to tell them how much I enjoyed the axe, they mailed me free buttons, stickers, a polish cloth and a set of strings! Now, that's pretty damn good service. // 9

Sound: I like classic rock. Mainly david gilmour and I can get pretty damn close with this guitar. I use a Fender vypyr (set on the classic 30 amp) modeler thru a Boss giga delay, Boss blues driver-2 and a byoc proco rat. The natural sound is loud, rich and full, just like you would expect from a les style guitar. The natural sustain on this thing is fantastic! Its hums are not noisy at all. Now thru pedals, I can get a bright soaring sound. Its not quite Strat bright, but all and all, most can't tell the difference. You can get any sound you want from hard rock to punk to country. Very flexible in the sound department. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up perfectly. All I have done to the damn thing over the last two years is tune it. Action is low and quite responsive. The neck feels natural in your hands and the tuners hold up nicely. The Rat Rod is one heavy bastard, just like an old lester, some don't care for that. The guitar must go thru a pretty good inspection before it leaves the shop because everything from the neck, nut and output is level, tight and ready to go the day you get your hands on it. The finish is unbelieveable. I have looked for a similar shade of dark blue in other guitars from fender, gibson, etc. And nothing is close. Most are too dark, while others are really shiny. Perfect paint on this bastard. // 10

Reliability & Durability: If Boss made a guitar, it would be a damn sparrow. Its built like an old 70's coupe deville, heavy as hell and quality parts. I'm sure you could crack skulls with the bastard and barely dent it. I replaced my strap buttons with locking straps, to be on the safe side, but there is no reason to have a back up, unless you're needing different tunings quickly or a different sound. Play this live, that's what it needs! // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic rock to outlaw country. No hard heavy, speed metal shit for me. Sorry fellas. I've been playing about 2 years, not great, but workin on that. I own a Traveler Ultra light, a lucero classical electric, a Roland vg-8, Boss gd-20, rc-20xl, ph-3, bd-2, ge-7, tu-2, byoc rat, Peavey Vypyr 15w. If this were stolen I would be pissed, the guitar is unique in color, fits like a glove and was affordable. I love most everything about it. I compared this to a Fender relic series 60's tele and an Epiphone lp. Couldn't afford the worn looking tele and Sparrow won hands down against the epi. First guitar to own and still my favorite. // 9

Comments