'51 review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 6.5 Neat
Squier: '51

For me, the '51 is quite a nice guitar. I'm not all that great of a player, I play mostly power chords, and it does that pretty well. I use a Crate amp with it, and it doesn't sound great, but I can deal with it. The humbucker is the only way to go when playing with distortion, the single coil buzzes way too loudly. Also, the tap for the humbucker is cool, but somewhat useless. I would describe the sound as bright, but a scratchy kind of bright. Not the best tone. The variety of sounds that is made with the guitar is quite nice. With only 2 pickups, you have 5 different settings. The single coil is somewhat bassy and is excellent for clean stuff with maybe some reverb. The humbucker sounds like your everyday cheapo humbucker, not the best, but isn't too shabby when playing easy punk stuff with a moderate amount of distortion. The tapped humbucker is kinda twangy, but buzzes alot. It's fun to use when playing rockabilly stuff, it has that '50's stlye twang. I'm quite happy with the tonal range of sound of the '51. What I like about the sound of the '51 is the variety of sounds it can produce, and what I dislike is the loud buzzing with the single coil and tapped pickups when playing with distortion, and the harsh tone.

I play mostly punk stuff from the '70's (Ramones, Misfits), and it's not too shabby at that kind of stuff. I've been playing the guitar for close to 4 years, and in the past I've owned a Squier Bullet, an Epiphone Les Paul Special II, and an Epiphone acoustic (can't remember the model). Ampwise, some crappy 10 or 15 watt Squier amp, a Marshall Mini Stack, and now a Crate XT65R. If this guitar was lost/stolen, I would probably buy a different one, not because I think the quality of this one isn't good enough, but because I like variety, and it's an opportunity to try out another guitar. Overall, this guitar is A+++ for $150-$200. I reccomend it to anyone on a budget and is looking for a decent guitar.

I haven't modified it at all since purchase, and I'm pretty happy with it. The action is quite nice, not so low that it touches the frets, but not so high that you have to use much force to press a string down. There were no flaws when I purchased the guitar.

The Squier '51 electric guitar is a value-priced screamer offering unique looks and functionality. Tonal possibilities galore between it's single coil neck pickup and it's Hot Humbucker in the bridge position. Control your sound via the rotary selector and push-pull coil tap. - Series: Squier Vintage Modified series - Body: basswood - Neck: maple, C-shape with polyurethane finish - Fingerboard: maple, 9.5" radius (241 mm) - Number of frets: 21 medium jumbo - Scale length: 25.5" (648 mm) - Width at nut: 1.650" (42 mm) - Hardware: chrome - Machine heads: standard die-cast tuners - Bridge: hard-tail 6-saddle bridge - Pickguard: 1-ply white - Pickups: 1 single-coil Strat pickup (neck), 1 hot humbucking pickup (bridge) - Pickup switching: 3-position rotary selector Switch, (on master tone pot), push/pull coil selector Switch (on master volume pot) - Controls: master volume, master tone - Strings: Fender Super 250L, (.009 to .042) nickel plated steel - Unique features: Telecaster headstock, Vintage tinted neck, 1-ply '1 style pickguard, chrome '51 control plate, knurled chrome-dome control knobs, dot position inlays.