'51 review by Squier

Squier: '51

I play this with my 50 watt Marshall, the single coils sound great, with the Fender sound to it (twangy, great for blues) while the humbucker has a modern sound to it, bright and punchy. With gain it can sound Van Halen-ish so to say as it gets good clean distortion. Excellent range but the coil tap doesn't make too much of a difference, a nice feature nonetheless though. A bit of hum from the single coils but thats expected.

I play from blues, (King, Clapton) to heavy rock (Led Zeppelin) and some metal (Testament, Metallica) and it works wonderful for most of it. Paired with my Boss Metalzone though it's perfect for anything. I've been playing for 8 years, own a Gibson SG Standard (my main axe, beautiful), a Fender Fat Strat (Mexican made, awesome though), and bought this one as a backup to the Fat Strat and as a beat around guitar that I wouldn't be afraid of ruining. I chose it due to the price and features and I'm glad I did. I'm not ashamed to say that I love a $150 Squier!

This guitar seems extremely reliable, the strap buttons are solid and I wouldn't be scared to take it to a gig without a backup. The finish seems great and like it'll last.

The action was low but not really low, no fret buzzing, even action all across, no real flaws but since it was new the frets felt kind of rough on the edges. It evens out after playing it for a few months though and it stays in tune pretty damn well. Nice sunburst finish to boot.

This is a 2004 Squier 51 with 21 medium-jumbo frets, C-shaped maple neck, Telecaster headstock, Strat body, with a 51 P-Bass Pickguard. Basswood body with a HardTail bride, 2 single coils, and one humbucker at the bridge. 3-way rotary Switch, one volume control, and push-pull humbucker splitting coil tap. Lots of bang for the buck.