'51 review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 6.6 Neat
Squier: '51

Purchased from: Sam Ash

When I had this guitar I was running it through a Marshall MG 10 which isn't that great. At the moment I don't have any pedals or effects to run it through. Sound was prety good, it was a rich, full sound. With the coil tap on you can get plenty of highs. This guitar also had a nice way of feeding back, no sqawking or high-pitched screaming.

Interesting looks. 50's P-bass controls and pickguard on a Strat body with a Telecaster neck. I play a lot of classic/hard rock and some alternative. This guitars sound is pretty good, if it had been playble. I also have a Jay Turser SG which is preety good, a Marshall MG 10 which I'm getting sick of, and since you asked, A Bach trumpet. If it had been stolen, well, I'd have to question the mental stability of the thief.

You could easily gig with this guitar and, just in case, fight your way out with it. The body is very durable but a few whacks on a cement pavement or whatever would definatle crack it. Strap buttons very reliable, bridge is a piece of shit though. Strings seem to ever break on this guitar.

When I first got it it was okay (low action, neck straight, etc.) A few monthes later the neck got so convexed for no reason (no temp change, never taken out of house). No matter how much I toyed with the truss rod it would stay that way. In addition to that it also made the action very high and it buzzed a lot from the saddles? The finish holds up very well though.

Made 2005, on the back of the headstock it proudly declares "Made In Indonesia". 21-22 frets, made of a very solid slab of basswood (the kind they sell in arts and crafts stores btw). Had a nice 2-tone sunburst. The interesting features are the coil-tap and tele neck on a Strat body. The bridge on mine was never any good due to constant buzzing. This guitar substitutes a tone control for a 3-way rotary knob that is also pulled to engage the coil tap. Oh, and it has decent humbucker in the bridge and sing coil in the neck.

OttovanZanten
    hm.. i need a cheap guitar with a nice tone on clean, after rocking for half a year i realised there's more then SCREAMING DISTORTION u guys thinkthis whould be a good 1? ill test 1 in store soon.
    OttovanZanten
    hm.. me again. It has a button u turn to switch pickup thingys? and u pull that button to make the humbucker a single coil? wicked. i think i want 1, as i sayd, i want a guitar with good clean tone.
    OttovanZanten
    for the price, it sounds very good on clean, didnt test with distortion. Also the capped humbucker that works as a single coil gives a nice sound, can't believe it only costs 180 euro's over here
    BobFromReboot
    You don't pull out the rotary pickup selector switch to split the hum bucker, you pull the volume nob. I played one in a store today and I was mad I don't live in the states where they're 99 dollars.
    LD1992
    is there a best set of strings for this or will any do? i was thinking of getting some .08 gauge ernie ball slinky
    Amroth
    I tried one of these without amplification in my local store and I like it. It looks great and with a few adjustments it can be good enough. But I'm used to a fat Les Paul neck so the neck is a little thin for me.
    millerdrr
    anyone in florida, they got em at guitar center for $65. hate squier, but even i couldn't turn that down