'51 review by Squier

Squier: '51

Purchased from: Guitar Center (Online)

I play a vairiety of music on this guitar, mostly blues but I also play some metal on in. It actually does alright on the metal although the reason I use it for metal is because I like the neck so much. I use it with my Boss Metal Zone and Boss Distortion pedals through my Cube 15 amplifier. For stock pick-ups they're fairly silent and they are somewhat bright (which is what I expected). I can get a pretty full sound for some clean, harmonically rich playing and I can make it a little punchier for some soloing, it's sustain is decent.

I am very satisfied with this guitar overall, it was very well priced. I own an Ibanez Iceman that doesn't get played too much anymore because I've fallen in love with the way the '51 plays. I would have to say my favorite feature is the neck, it just plays like butter. The reason I bought this guitar is because I heard great things about it and it was priced right. If it were ever stolen I'm not sure if I could replace it because it was discontinued but, if I could I would in a heartbeat. In the future I plan on replacing the pick-ups with Seymour Duncans and replacing the tuners and bridge.

The guitar is pretty sturdy, the hardware is going to be replaced eventually so I can maintain tuning better and so I can get the intonation dialed in. My worry with the hardware is not that if it will last or not, though. I'm not worried about the strap buttons but I suggest strap-locks anyway, just in case. I don't really gig but if I did, I would bring my other guitar not because this one is unreliable but because I don't want to be caught without an instrument.

The action was set-up pretty well when I got it, the pickups were also well set-up. The intonation is actually pretty bad, I adjusted it as well as I could and it is still off a little bit, but I have a feeling I'm unusually picky about intonation. Everything about it is put together fairly well and the guitar didn't have any flaws when I got it.

I like the features of this guitar a lot, I use the pickup splitting a lot and I use all of the pickups in different settings.

Dizzydog
    For $149 retail they are a steal. Sounds better and is more fun than most $500 guitars I own. Excellent little axe IMO.
    Bucks Owin
    I just HAD to have one of these after hearing so much about them. Got mine from Sam Ash for $99 and now that I have one, I can say that you get what you pay for..... They're cool looking with a decent neck, but the action is high (by necessity, the fretwork is only "fair" and my neck has a slight twist), the HB pup's pole pieces don't fit the string spacing and the bridge is a real POS! Other than that, get one and have fun spending money on mods! They DO "look" cool.... The $99 would have bought a better axe at the local pawnshop IMO...
    shift3448
    awesome guitar only problem i could find was a little extra plastic on the pickboard. beautiful guitar .looks better in black though