'51 review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
Squier: '51

Purchased from: Ebay

I mainly use this guitar for pop-punk, punk and soft rock and it pulls these off pretty good but could do with upgraded pickups. I'm playing it through a Marshall Vintage Modern 2266C and using a guitar tech distortion pedal. You get your average Strat 'bucker sounds from the Bridge whether distorted/clean, however, when playing on a clean setting and using the coil-tap it gives you a real twang country sound which can be good or bad depending on what you're after. Distorted the coil-tapped 'bucker just doesn't give useable tones, at least not in my opinion. The single coil at the neck looks cool (being on an angle is a bit different) but I never use it, just seems to muddy up on me.

Overall I think it's a fairly good guitar and is worth the money, also they are cool looking guitars that are easy to mod. If it was stolen I think I'd save my money and buy the Fender version released earlier this year due to the superior quality in spec. I love the scratchplate on it, just seems so good looking to me! I didn't compare it to any other products although I'm now eyeing up a duo-sonic to go with it. To be honest there's not much more that I want out of it. Different pickups are about it!

I think the guitar COULD withstand live playing, however it needs some work before that, new pickups, pots etc. All the hardware seems okay but straplocks are a must, I've lost it twice whilst standing still and being sensible. I wouldn't use it without a backup unless I'd gone through the entire guitar to make sure it would survive. Finish is really good, I think it'll last for many years to come.

This was bought second hand so any factory problems were already sorted. I adjusted the action to my personal preference and tightened tuners etc. Other than that everything was in good condition. One problem I did have was tuning stability, the Bridge was caput and affecting this. 20 on ebay for a new one and I haven't had to tune it after a week of playing at least an hour a day.

Not sure what year it was made, I do know it was made in Indonesia. 21 medium-jumbo frets with a 25 1/2" scale. 1 piece C-shaped maple with a Telecaster style headstock. Solid Strat style basswood body in Vintage blonde. It's a HardTail six saddle Bridge with a toploading system. Has one volume knob which if you pull out is a coil-tap for the Bridge pickup and a pickup selecter. Humbucker at the Bridge and a tilted single-coil pickup at the neck. Standard Squier tuners.