Affinity Fat Strat review by Squier

Squier: Affinity Fat Strat

Purchased from: Aroundabout Sound

This suits my music style perfectly. Everyone knows that strats are great for jazz and blues, but with the addition of the humbucker you can Switch to hard-rockin' powerchords and lightning shred runs to in a nanosecond. I don't feel the need at all to change the humbucker, but the mid singlecoil has now given up and breaks up lot on clean, so I might need to get that sorted. Not very noisy, but I've played a Vintage V100 Les Paul which was a lot quieter.

I play electric blues, some jazz, a lot of rock and a healthy dose of metal, and this guitar takes it all. It's really easy to play - very practical layout and a nice thin neck with double-cutaways. The addition of the humbucker is great. However, if it was lost or stolen I think I would save up for a Fender American Strat because their so much better.

Very solid guitar. Will definitely withstand live playing, but I would have a backup just in case. The finish is great, really hard to scratch.

I've lowered the action just for convenience's sake, really, but otherwise no probs apart from that mid pickup.

Your basic Strat: 21 frets, lovely thin neck with rosewood fingerboard. Medium frets in my opinion, alder body with Metallic Blue finish which is really hard to scratch, which is great. Tune-O-Matic bridge, passive electronics, 2 tone and 1 master volume control with a 5-way pickup. Tuners aren't amazingly stable, but good enough. Pickups: one amazingly sweet sounding Strat neck singlecoil, one bright mid singlecoil and a choppy humbucker at the bridge. I love the feel of this guitar, great for doing bluesy feely stuff on it.

nerz
    I have this one togetter with a roland microcube aswell. its a very good combination.
    Overaid
    My first guitar, still playing with it, it has an incredible sound for a Squier, really great, suits any genre.
    DigitalChip
    My first guitar (rosewood w/ black). A lot of people compliment it for some reason. Uh, well, I guess I haven't had such great maintenance with it has a couple of scratches and dents, but I have to travel a lot with it on da subway so stuff happens. No problems yet. The humbucker with 2 single coil pickups is a good setup for versatile players, I guess.
    Echoes_26
    I've got an Affinity Fat Strat (Metallic Blue). Pretty good guitar, with my Roland MicroCube. But, it isn't that hard to scratch... my stupid friend scratched it by just playing it.