Affinity Fat Strat review by Squier

Squier: Affinity Fat Strat

Purchased from: Music Central, IOW

I play a lot of instrumental, post-rock kind of stuff, but it also has to cut the mustard with vocals and drums. I play it through a Marshall VS65R (soon to be a half stack of some sort) and it sounds absolutely fine. Crank it up; play it out. The little humbucker is absolutely great, and I have as of yet experienced no difficulty or loss of power. Great variety from the humbucker; however, the single coils are pathetic and useless (I ripped em out) so I have never ever used them. If they worked well then you could get a great sound I expect, but seeing as mine have been awful since the day I got it I will probably never know!

I think that this guitar could have a lot of tonal possibilities, I don't know though because I have only ever used the humbucker, but for what the humbucker does it sounds absolutely great. I have been playing for about 2 years, I own a Les Paul Special II and a Rickenbacker copy I inherited (don't shoot me, please) and I would say it is on par with the LP Special, in terms of playability, but then again they are very different guitars. If it didn't mean that much to me and it got stolen or lost, I would probably buy a Rickenbacker, which is what I'm saving for now (yes, it's a big step up I know). I don't really hate anything about it, if I wanted other things on it I would have probably bought a different guitar. Overall, a solid guitar for beginners or advanced players. Needs a good amp to play through though.

I believe this guitar will most definately withstand Live playing, it could probably do a tour no problem, my one could anyway. I always had a feeling that I was very lucky and got quite a high quality one, because I have always heard Squiers are notoriously shoddy, but this one has been pretty much fine minus the pickups, any weird damage done has been done of my own tinkering! Strap buttons haven't been of any real problem. Definately a guitar that will last.

The guitar was set-up pretty average, I don't like saying how it has been set-up because I believe set-up is very much a personal thing. The paint job is absolutely fantastic; definately 10/10 for that, I can throw anything at it, scratch it, scrape it and it still looks brilliant! The pickguard however, went all yellow but the was because of my own doing, so that doesnt't really count! I replaced it with a modified Tom DeLonge pickguard (cause of the one humbucker) but before that it's did it's job very well.

Made about 2002, the later Squiers are of a much higher quality than the older ones (disregarding the Vista range, they were on par with Fender in my opinion). Made in China, mine has lasted years, I have had absolutely zero problems with any of the feature so far! Nice simple design; 22 frets, fat frets, rosewood neck, 2 single coils and 1 humbucker, 2 tone pots and a vol pot, and a 5-way Switch. I don't know what material the body is made out of, probably a cheap material. All the features have been fine so far.