Affinity Fat Strat review by Squier

Squier: Affinity Fat Strat

Purchased from: Marguertie's Music

I mainly play a lot of rock, mainly punk though. This guitar was great for a nice kicking rock sound when playing some old Green Day songs. I have an old Peavey Amp from the 70's so I personally don't think I'm getting all I can get out of this guitar but the nice thing it's a concert amp so I'm pretty sure the neighbors hate me... On high volume I also get a lot of feedback, which sometimes on some songs I do want. Only problem I find is that on my single coil pick ups in the neck position I get a lot of buzzing. But this guitar is very versatile. You can get a kinds of sounds out of it.

Playing mostly rock, pretty good match only all the bands I listen to use Gibsons so I really want an Epiphone one of these days. For playing for about, a year I own just the basics, an amp, cable, picks, tunner, and a clean/overdrive petal so it's all good. If this guitar was stolen or lost, I'd want to buy another one, but maybe I might buy an Epiphone or at least a Strat with a lighter wood. I really like the durability and the added humbucker on this guitar, but I really hate the wood on this guitar. Since this is my first guitar, I have to say it's pretty nice but not the best best.

I think this guitar would survive live playing, my strap gets loose sometimes so I might want to have an extra somewhere. But I have to admit, after dropping this guitar, banging it against walls, you name it, it's survived pretty well. So this guitar is pretty durable.

This guitar I've notice does have a few flaws. After playing with it for a while, something happened to my humbucker! it's slanted into the guitar having an end of it sticking out at an angle. Also I personally don't like the wood of this guitar, I perfer a maple wood instead, also, on the back of the guitar, it's maple wood but there's no glossy surface over it so it's stained all over! Very disapointing! I also find my cable input gets loose sometimes but that's normal for any guitar, but after looking back at it, there are some flaws that I'm really disapointed with! I also find with the Strat design, when I'm playing, I hit the volume knob so I constantly loose sound when palm muting, very annoying.

This guitar was made in Indonesia with 21 frets and a rosewood fret board. This guitar has the traditional start body with volume, tone and a five way selector. The great part about this guitar is the humbucker on the bridge section. It adds so much to the sound.

Squirrel1993
    hey, i was wondering if anyone has any good amp suggestions for this guitar. i'd like to upgrade and are there any amps that sound really good w/ this guitar? thanks!
    squierstratdave
    what is the difference between the affinity fat strat and the affinity strat? is the fat strat better? because i see that the affinity one has recieved alot of abuse from reviewers lol
    squierstratdave
    whats the difference between the affinity fat strat and just the affinity strat?, because the fat strat seems to have got much better reviews
    n47713
    got a montego black with PLATINUM SPARKLE pickguard. sounds great, too great for a squier, rocks the shit out of my friends fender! minor issue, neck is not as superly glossy as my 80's antoria telstar!
    Andy Jarvis
    I have an Affinity Fat Strat, I bought mine as a starter pack with the G-DEC Amp. The guitar is fine as a starter instrument however, I upgraded to an MIM Fender Standard Strat and the the only similarity between the two in the basic shape, don't buy a Squier Affinity series thinking you are going to get a guitar made to the same specs as a Fender Strat, you ain't, apart from quality of the fittings and electrics they are cosmetically different as well, the paint work is a lot less resistant to knocks and the the body is a lot thinner. Also there is some confusion as to the wood used, for the record, if you buy an Affinity Strat in a starter pack than the wood is Agathis, if you buy the guitar on it's own then the wood is Alder.
    wretchedspawn
    this guitar is awsome it is my first one and i love it. black on black. the humbucker sounds very nice(no hum here) plays very nice and smooth. but im just a beginner what do i know right? keep it brutal
    plantnuke
    Squirrel I suggest (at least for the price and features) go fore the Line6 Spider III amp series. they are loaded with features, so you don't have to go out and spend a ton on stompboxes. Im getting one and I have used one it is simply great absolutely no complaints.