Affinity Fat Strat review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 6.4 Neat
Squier: Affinity Fat Strat

Purchased from: GuitarCenter

I like playing rock/pyshcedelic/metal, big differance. It came with a Fender Frontman 15w amp, horrible, it has this annoying buzz to it. I mostly use distortion with it. If you use it in the neck pickup you'll get a "bright/plain" sound to it, middle is a more fuller "bright/plain" sound. Humbucker, which I use the most, you get a fuller sound to it. It is versitile in a much not so versitile sense... you can do a lot with it but it sounds horrible, when you do it.

Like I said I play everything I can get my hands on. But it's pretty Standard beginner guitar, I don't recommend this to any longtime players unless you want to own every guitar in the world. Yeah I wish that guitarcenter had the Epiphone SG starterpack. If I lost this then I would deffinately get a new guitar. I wish it had better pickups, not that stupid headstock, and a floydrose tremolo would make it deffinatley worth more than $150.00 alone. They don't have a 6 and a half so I'll have to put a seven for over all.

I doubt a whole lot that it could with stand play hard in your garage, let alone in a Live performance. No the hardware deffinately wil not last more than a year and a half at most.strap buttons are probably the most sturdy piece of equipment on this thing. The finish is good if you don't do anything stupid with it, it would last. The fingerboard loses it's finish fast, so take care of it.

The action was ok, the string were regular Fender.9 string, which I hate so I switched and got Ernie Ball super slinkies, which are 30 times better. the pickups were ok, but they are starting to break just after the first year. Now I know why they are only 10 dollar single coil pickups. I got a new pickgaurd cause the one it came with was rubish. The tuners shakce after a while and the tremolo makes the strings out of tune really fast. Other than that laundry list it's ok.

It was made in 2007, in Indonesia. It has 21 frets regular frets on a rosewoods fingerboard. It has an alder body wood, with a maple neck, on a Stratocaster body style, and a 70's big headstock, which personally I really don't like. It has a poly. finish to it. it's bridge is a Standard Fender one, 2 Standard single-coil pickups on the neck and middle, and a Standard humbucker on the bridge pickup. With a 5-way selector you get a some-what "veristile" sound.

Dloc
    I have one... on my profile, it has all of the features listed at the top but doesnt have the tremelo bar. Im a beginer but im pretty happy with it... only thing that when i play certian things it is very... ill say staticy.... if ne one can help ill appreciate it.
    xvasmx
    This is a great starter guitar imo, but after a while and some experience with other guitars, your definitely going to see what it can do is rather limited.
    sid9102
    I'd be completely happy with this one (my first guitar) if it hadn't detuned DURING a gig. My band lost the contest because the whammy bar makes it detune (we were playing Knights of Cydonia). Other than the whammy, it's an awesome first guitar.
    sid9102
    erm sorry for double-posting, my ISP is useless and I thought it timed out.
    Ebonwood
    So, more or less, the this guitar would be alright for a beginner? I've been messing with my friend's left-hand Ibanez for a bit, but want a guitar of my own now..
    killerkane2k
    been playing with this guitar for a while. i pulled the whammy bar because it is trash, unless you want to sound like a train wreck after you use the thing. the humbuckers are definitely fine. I have 8 guitars and enjoy this one more than most of them.
    childofbodem
    sid9102 wrote: My bloody fat strat detuned on stage, because I whammied too much. The whammy is useless, but everything else is awesome.
    Next in the news today, smoking leads to breathing problems!