Affinity Fat Strat review by Squier

Squier: Affinity Fat Strat

Price paid: C$ 320

I am a begginer, but am playing a lot of Beatles melody lines (not so much chords) After playing with the selector and tone knobs as well as with the amp settings it sounds beautiful with a clear tone. I play it through the Fender G-DEC Jr 15 watt amp that came with it. The amp can model many types of amps and effects. It sounds great on most of them, some are not to my taste but the sound it makes sounds true to what it is trying to model.

I am playing 50s and 60s rock/pop and mostly melody lines. I have only been playing a year, I own a beat up Fender FC-100 accoustic which is my only omparison. If it were lost ot stolen at this point I would go get another right away. Maybe in a year or two I would invest in a slightly higher quality guitar. It took a while for me to find a setting where both the 1st and 6th string came in clearly through the amp, but it dialed in now so it sounds great.

I have only had it a few months. The thing seems indestructable. My 7 year old is learning to play on it too. The strap is cheap, as is the cable so I expect they will need replacing at some point, but so far they are standing up to the task. I don't gig but given that my son is playing it too and he is not really gentle with it I think it would do very well.

I have no complaints about the set up as purchased. No flaws that I can see, nothing loose, stays in tune really well (I don't use the tremolo). The factory plastic they put over the pick guard was not easy to peel off (some is stuck under the tone knobs but cannot be seen without a close look).

Made in 2010 in Indonesia. 22 medium jumbo frets, rosewood fret board on a maple neck, synchronous tremolo. 1 volume and 2 tone controls, 5 way selector for 1 humbucker and 2 single coil pickups. Came with gig bag, strap, picks, cable, G-DEC Jr Amp, and allen keys. Keep in mind it is a starter guitar and cheap.

MT in Austin
    I traded for one of these years ago. On its own, it is a much better guitar than the price tag suggests. After a proper setup and blocking the tremolo (great tuning improvement), it is actually a surprisingly good guitar. After changing out the stock pick-up for a Seymour Duncan sh-6 with a coil tap, it screams. I have played the guitar through a Fender Hotrod Deville 410, a Peavey Bravo 25, a Bugera v22, a Mesa Boogie Lone Star as well as several solid state amps and Line 6 Guitar Port. It does very well considering there is, maybe, $300 total in the guitar (original price, pickup swap and new paint). I have gigged with it but usually keep it as a back up. I'd be bummed if it were stolen. I'd probably get another and do it all again.
    Seref
    I always said that if you're looking for a budget guitar, the Squier Affinity series is a great choice. Excellent guitar for the price--solid materials and construction. And if you like modding, the Affinity strats are great. The have real alder bodies and real maple necks and real rosewood(or maple) fretboards. If you're willing to spend a few bucks on new electronics, new pickups, a new bridge, new tuners, and a professional fret job, it becomes pretty comparable to even a MIA Strat. The woods are great which makes it a perfect modding platform.
    Ninja0King
    I play Post-Hardcore and Metal, and I love this guitar more than even American Standard Fenders. Like many have said, the whammy throws it out of tune pretty quickly, so dont bother with that unless you upgrade the tuning or whammy components. Its pretty light and very durable. Once, my strap failed and it fell to the floor. My stomach dropped, but to my surprise the only damage was to the floor, and my guitar didnt have a scratch.
    Ninja0King
    whats the difference between the affinity fat strat and just the affinity strat?, because the fat strat seems to have got much better reviews
    The Fat is an HSS Pickup setup instead of SSS, and I believe it is slightly larger.
    kellyguy
    I have had one for 5 years now. I think its great in all aspects. I have 4 electric guitars, including a Hamer USA worth more that $2K and this one is still my favourite as far as versatility goes. My family wanted to buy me a real fender when I retired, but after comparing the two, I didn't feel the cost was justified and opted for another acoustic instead.