Affinity Strat review by Squier

Squier: Affinity Strat

The good thing about the three single coils mean this is an incredibly versatile guitar, and providing you have the effects or amps that suit your style, the Strat can cope with almost anything, whether it is country or metal. The major thing people overlook about this guitar is its potential as a custom guitar. The pickups are simple to replace with better ones, scratchplate, bridge and neck can all be replaced and modified with little knowledge (useful for someone like me). The squire I have cost 40 second hand, and was black with a white scratchplate. I replaced the scratchplate with a pearloid one, and I messed around with the pickup configuration, but now they are in the original place, although I intend to replace them with some closed singles for a higher output.

This is my first solid body electric and it's fantasic. It's the cheapest best guitar, and with a some clever customisation, it could rival the real Fender strats.

This guitar could probably survive a nuclear blast, but even if it didn't, who cares? It's bloody cheap.

The guitar does have quite a few flaws but I have ripped it apart so many times it may be my fault. As I said before, whatever is wrong with this guitar can be adjust with minimal trouble or cost. The only problem I have had that I have had a lot of trouble rectifying, is the action and intonation. The strings loss the tuning slightly around fret 12, but as I said, it's probably my fault anyway...

22 Frets, 3 single coil pickups, 5 way pickup selector, 2 tone and 1 volume knob, string through body.