Affinity Strat review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 5.6 Decent
Squier: Affinity Strat

Purchased from: Bought Used

I may be a bit biased because NO Stratocaster would fit my musical style. I play mostly classic rock, although I do play the occasional punk rock song and strats work for that. However, I think single coil pickups in general sound very bad, especially with solid state amps. Naturally, these pickups are about as cheap as you can get, and they create a lot of extra noise, even on a high end solid state amp such as the Marshall MG series of amps. I would not reccomend gigging with this guitar. As far as just hanging out with your buddies for a recreational jam session, the Squier works ok.

I have owned this Squier Strat for about 3 years, and I played for a year and half before I bought it. When I bought it, I had no knowledge of electric guitars, nor had I really reached a skill level where I would develop my own playing style. Basically, I wish that I had just saved some money and bought the used Epiphone Les Paul with Seymour Duncan humbuckers and tuners from a Gibson that I am currently playing. I highly reccommend buying a used Fender if you want a Strat. if you know you are going to keep playing the guitar and its not just a passing interest, go ahead and spend a few hundred bucks and get yourself something a little nicer than a Squier. As I said, Fenders are good and relatively inexpensive, and in my opinion, the Epiphone Les Paul is the BEST guitar you can buy in its price range. Also, Ibanez are good too. Look at these guitars before buying a Squier.

This is a pretty durable guitar. I've had mine for a little over 3 years, and I bought it from a friend, but I don't know how long he owned it, or if he bought it new. I have no problems whatsover with this guitar. It's dependable for what it is.

I know a lot of people criticize the quality of the materials used in this guitar. I really think the fretboard is okay. It's very playable, and the neck on mine is straight, even though its an old guitar. The tuners are horrendous, but tuning a guitar isn't that big of a problem. It stays in tune while I'm playing it.

If you are reading my review, by now you know what these features are. I give it a three, because for the retail price, the features aren't bad.