Affinity Strat review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 6.4 Neat
Squier: Affinity Strat

I play anything from rock to metal, from AC/DC to ZZ Top. I purchased this with the Squier beginners pack with a two channel Fender Frontman 15G amp (great amp) and a nice gig bag and extras. The finger/fret board has a serious humming problem. I have not yet got the action heighth adjusted but if I was going to say this was my main axe I'd get it changed. It just seems to low for me. The sound isn't too bad but that's probably because the amp is top notch for it's size (15 watt). The guitar really drops out of tune very quickly. After just a few licks I'm back re-turning. Arrrrgghh. It gets a little frustrating. I'm going to be looking for a new guitar very soon one of my "must haves" is a string locking setup.

Great guitar for a starting musician. Since I was really re-introducing myself to playing the electric guitar again I should've spent a few exta hundred dollars and got a good guitar and the same amp or a slightly better amp. If you play rock or metal there are quite a few better guitar packages and prices. Save up the 300 bucks and get a BC Rich or Jackson and a nice 30 to 100 watt amp.

I don't really play live. I've been a hobby guitarist for several years off-and-on. I've banged the head and body into the door frame a couple of times by accident and there was no noticeable ding or scratch. I wouldn't play this axe live since it drops tuning so easily.

The guitar seems to be setup OK. The output jack was loose as hell so I unscrewed it and tightened the o-ring around the jack. Other than that there are no noticeable flaws to me.

This is an Indonesian copy of the Fender Strat. It has 22 frets on a rose wood neck with a laminated red body and white finger board. It has three passive single coil (cheap) pickups, three control knobs (volume, high, and low tone). It has failry good tuners with a string through body setup.