Affinity Strat review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 3.2 Poor
Squier: Affinity Strat

Purchased from: N/A

I've played guitar for 12 years and have reviewed many guitars for websites, magazines etc. and this was probably the worst thing i've used. Every time a plug it in and Switch it on, there is an horrific buzz blaring from the speaker of the 15watt amp. Now I first thought this was mainly the amp, so I tried it with a VOX valve-state amp. It sounded like a strangled mule, even through the VOX. The distortion attempts to hide the terrible sound, but to little avail. On clean, the guitar is far too 'shallow' and just cannot provide a rich tone. Very poor.

In my twelve years of experience, i have adjusted to many styles as i am a session musician. I own many guitars, ranging from a basic Encore up to a PRS Santana and a Gibson SG custom. This fails to meet even basic standards. This can hardly be called a beginners guitar because it prevents the player from knowing what he or she is really playing. The sound is disgusting, and the mechanics of the guitar could put anyone off of learning the instrument. I have reviewed many beginners guitars, Encores, Pacificas etc. and this is the worst. I am dissapointed with Squier, especially being a Fender endorsed company, at producing such poor equipment and hope that they can learn from this. Don't misunderstand me, as Squier have produced excellent guitars such as the Standard Strat and teles. I suggest going for these over the affinity.

Will this withstand live playing? Yes. It is certainly built like a rock, but the sound is dreadful, and the electronics are pretty poor. So at least you can repeatedly batter it after you're set. I would NEVER play this at a gig. The strap buttons are crap as well, my strap came straight off after the first 5 minutes of its maiden jam. The finish is thin too, I thought a scratch-plate was supposed look at least half-decent after a couple of months wear and tear. Its shredded!

The finish is disgusting. I apologise for my bluntness, but even at just over a hundred quid you'd expect a little more than a glossy, opaque bright red or blue. The pickups were far too high, although I was happy with the action, relatively low. The selector Switch cracks something awful when changing pickups, so I had to clean the insides and re-wire the selector and pickups. The intonation was seriously off, almost an entire semi-tone. I was too embarassed to get it set up at the store.

You ought to know the features if you're reading my interpretation. 21 frets, 3 single coil pickups, two tone knobs that do nothing whatsoever and a volume control (not that you would want to turn this thing up). It came with a thin gig-bag, a crappy 15watt amp and some pitch-pipes.