Affinity Strat review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 6.4 Neat
Squier: Affinity Strat

Purchased from: Swee Lee

I play anything from classic rock to heavy metal and I find that this guitar has a "lagging response" and doesn't give me the feedback I want. Still good for most songs except when you play 1/16 beat and you barely could hear what you been playing. Compared to the Washburn my friend bought, my guitar sounds more like it is beeping when I play fast while his is smooth! Maybe three coils aint enough. Overall the sounds are ok, once you mastered the tones and taming of the electrical interference and it is quite a good beginners guitar serious because I bet no other guitar has that much interference you have to overcome.

First impression was nice to press good to use and easy to handle and the distance between string was just nice. I was a beginner when I started out using it still am. It improve my skills to a certain level but well I would play better if I had something not beeping. If this was stolen, I wouldn't buy it again as I feel there are a lot of good guitars out there. when I bought it I did compare to Epiphone and Ibanez. It win the Ibanez in terms of sound and feel, but it was off in terms of sound and reaction time to Epiphone. Still win Epiphone in handling coz I had a hard time figuring out that Epiphone and the strings are a little wide. Simple and good beginners guitar.

It is a definite nono to live performance as it wont be able to project clearly but for a jamming session I wouldn't mind. The guitar is pretty solid since it has been thrown around and man handled by my parents, I'm still grateful it's in one piece. I give it a 5 for that, it been thru a lot of hell though my 5 selector knob went missing leaving the sharp metal edge protruding. For a gig, I wouldn't even have it for backup. It sure will be a sucky performance unless they think the beeping is fine. The paint job is reliable and I still see no wearing off after 3 years. And I threw away the strap they gave, lousy piece of shit. The strap buttons are solid though.

My retailer first look at the guitar was that hmm this is no good and he re-setup the string level so that it was high, he also tilt the coils in some kinda manner, I have no idea whats the diff. For the pickup modes I usually play the extreme ends coz when it is dual pickups it sounds a bit awful. I have no problem with the bridge but I notice some rusted parts on my fret board a few months later, probably poor maintenenace and the humid weather here.

A 2000 model Squire Affinity Strat, made in Indonesia with 21 frets. It has a fairly slim neck, smooth sliding compared to those no names guitar I use in jamming studios. My finishing was ok except for a loose screw which made my top looked bulging out from certain angles, (not that noticeable but yea what the heck). The tones took me a few months to figure out the difference in sound, they seriously are useless but sometimes you will feel it sounds funny if you never adjust it to bassier or more treble notes. 3 of my 5 way selectors give off heavy electrical interference (after a year) 2 of those I found that by turning volume knob to 0 and back up it will cut but the middle 1. No matter what I do it's still there. And yea, this is a 3 single-coil setup model. The set comes with a "Fender" tuner which I find useful but it wont give you the "standard" once you turn pro found that it says tune although when it's a little off tune. The cables lasted me 1 year though it's gold tip the standard isn't there amp. I like the overdrive mode but it doesn't give me a good range (been using this guitar for over three years).