Affinity Strat review by Squier

Squier: Affinity Strat

Purchased from: N/A

I enjoy playing classic rock and blues. It sounds real good for these. It has got a bright sound, but I would really have liked it to sound a little fuller. The guitar can range from crisp light sounds, to a duller empty sound, with very little middle ground, even with the five-way pickup. I don't use many effects with it, sometimes a little distortion, and it works for the guitar. The distortion really brings out some flavor in the duller sounding settings Turned up to loud though, and this guitar sounds like a beast out of hell, in the bad way. It crackles to the point it overpowers the actual playing and really reduces the options you have when you want to really just play loudly and jam it out through the night. But when you find a clear setting, it can sound sweet and soulful.

This guitar on the whole is adequate. An excellent choice for begginners who want to. "Feel this whole guitar thing out." For me, it plays my style, blues and rock, well and I trust it to do what is needed. I've been playing with it for 3 months and it has carried me through some good times and steep learning curves. But having played it, if I were to lose it, I would definately replace it with something a little more serious, like a SG or a real Strat. It's a good guitar, but it really isn't for the dedicated guitarists. If you are a beginner, and don't own an electric, get this one, it's cheap, reliable, and easy to manage. And if in a couple months you quit the whole guitar scene, you won't have wasted much money. Besides, it looks like a real Strat, since Squier is a sub company of Fender, and if it looks good that should be all that matters to a beginner.

The guitar really shines in this department. The hardware is firmly in place, escpecially the strap buttons. It is not a fragile machine, it can take a beating. Live playing won't harm it, neither I doubt will a blockbuster bomb. I personally have had the neck hit my cieling fan, I've had it slam against a wall, and fall over forwards from its stand. It doesn't even come untuned. I've carried it in my gigbag many times without having to adjust it. It will last a long time, probably even outlast a new guitar.

There was nothing wrong when I recieved this guitar. The red paint job was suberb and the chrome hardware shines like it has something to say, well play actually. However, the pickgaurd does lift off the body just a teensy bit in some places, you can't even notice unless you are really examining it. The routing is right on and all the hardware is sturdy. I see no flaws here.

It has a Strat body, which feels comfortable and looks good. The 21 medium jumbo frets make for easy picking, my fingers fit quite nicely in each fret and it's easy to move up and down the fret board. The chrome hardware looks extremely nice and matches the feel of the guitar well. It has two tone knobs which do very little to alter the sound in my opinion except for neck pickup. Speaking of pickups there are five, all single coils which give a bluesy sound. The body wood is alder and the neck is maple, the finger board is rosewood. These woods make a good sound, but I could ask for more. Mine came with a gig bag which has served well.