Affinity Strat review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Squier: Affinity Strat

I play classic rock and metal, and this guitar didnt really work very well for what I was trying to play. While it sounded pretty good clean, this guitar hissed constantly with distortion. I use a Kustom KGA10 and a Behringer halfstack with this guitar. One thing I noticed, though, is that the guitar was much quieter when using the neck/middle pickup configuration or the bridge/middle configuration, but using one alone was noisy. This guitar can handle most genres, but it tends to be loud and noisy on heavier styles, but for blues, classic rock, and stuff like that it does a decent job.

For my style of play, this isnt the best choice. I've played for over a year now, and I also own an Ibanex AX, and a few acoustics. If this guitar was stolen or lost or whatever, I don't think I'd replace it. It's pretty good for beginners, but not worth replacing. However, it is very cheap, so for the price this is a rather good guitar.

This guitar could stand gigging decently but don't expect the paint job to be perfect. It chips with relatively little force. I've never had a problem with the strap buttons. I would probably gig with this without a backup, it's never really broken.

The action was accually pretty good, better then my newer guitar. The pickups needed a tiny bit of adjusting, but barely any. There were no problems with the guitar when I got it, but the input jack came loose a tad. easily fixed.

This was made in China, relatively new (2003 I think). It has a alderwood body, classic Fender headstock, maple neck with rosewood fretboard. 21 fret, artic white (which is accually a Vintage off-white). It has tremolo bridge, and the input jack is pretty well located; my cable rarely fell out. This guitar has three single-coil pickups, and a 5-way selector, a volume knob, and two tone knobs. Overall all these were decent, but nothing particularly good.