Affinity Strat review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 3.8 Poor
Squier: Affinity Strat

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

I mostly play punk, metal and even some classic rock and this guitar gets that done mediocerly. Metal is the worst on this guitar because many of the frets buzz and the the pickups just don't give out a "metallic" sound. But for punk this guitar is just OK. Like I mentioned before the pickups suck and buzz horibbley. The second and fourth selections are the only ones that don't give off the annoying sound. The guitar doesn't do much for an accomplished player but for beginners who play in their rooms I guess this guitar is ok. The tone capabilites are strictly limited because of the buzzing like I said.

I've been playing guitar since I was eleven and I am now fourteen but don't judge me I practice my ass off. This is the only guitar I own but I am planning to buy either an LTD M-200FM or an Epiphone G-400. Those guitars would leave the Squier Affinity Strat behind. I wish I had known more about guitars before I bought this one because in all honesty I regret buying this one. I've played many other no name Strat rip offs and I think that this guitar isn't all that much better. I've also played many of better guitars such as the Epiphone G-400 and the LTD M-100FM and after playing them I wish that this guitar would be as good as them. If this guitar got stolen I would laugh at the idoit who stole it because there are about a million better guitars out there. I actually hope it gets stolen so I can buy one of the better guitars I've mentioned. Oh well. So a long story short: don't waste your time with this guitar just save up and buy something better.

The guitar can probably withstand live playing but I would have a backup for sure as this guitar isn't that reliable. The strap buttons are built solid enough just as long as you buy a new strap because the one that comes with it sucks. The hardware will only last if you take care of the guitar and you don't treat it like garbage, even though sometimes this guitar plays like garbage. The finish like I said before isn't very thick and it looks like some little kid painted it on. The finish will wear off near the pick guard I can gaurentee that. This guitar isn't reliable and isn't that durable.

This guitar wasn't set up too well and the strings don't line up to the pole pieces. This is a minor flaw. The biggest flaw is the input jack. The stupid thing shakes rattles and rolls. The nut in it gets loose and is hard to fix and the screws holding the jack on came loose and are impossible to screw back on! The pole pieces rust easily as I've only had this guitar for 2 and half years and they are already rusted. The bridge also needs to be set up. With a little fiddling I think I've finally got the saddles at the right height. Very poor. Also I noticed that one of the screws in the bridge fell off and I haven't been able to find it yet. That's one for the books... The finish scratches so easily it's not even funny while the pick guard gets scratched easier. It really ticks you off when you get a new guitar home and it has a huge scratch on it.

What can I say about the Squier Affinity Strat? First off all it has a tremlo, a 21 fret neck, a white pick guard, two tone controls and one volume control. It also has a five-way selector for the three pickups. It has a rosewood fret board, a maple neck and an alder body if I'm not mistaken. Mine came with a staticy amp some extra strings, a faux leather strap, and some picks that broke the next day. Well the guitar comes with alot of stuff for a a small price. Gotta give it points for that.