Affinity Strat review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Squier: Affinity Strat

I play mostly modern rock, like Green Day, My Chemical Romance, and Blink 182. It can play all these styles and many more. The 3 pickups make it incredibly versatile, with a good blues sound from the neck pickup and a goos rock sound from the bridge pickup. Unfortunately being so versatile, it is not amazingly good at producig a certain type of sound. It's kind of average all round. I use it with some 10 watt Stagg amp, which is also a good all-round average practice amp.

Like other Fender and Squier strats, it suffers for not having humbuckers. In the future I'll probably replace the sungle coils for some mini humbuckers. This guitar is great for modding as almost any part can be replaced with ease. If it was lost I probably wouldn't buy it again. I'd probably get another Les Paul Copy (I have a Vintage V100 which wipes the floor with the Strat).

This thing is built like a rock. I've had it for a while now and nothing at all has gone wrong with it, although with the tremolo arm brings it out of tune quite quickly. The hardware will last a lifetime, and it still sounds like it did the day I got it. I wopuld not gig with this, as it just isn't good enough to be played on a large scale, although the strap buttons are very strong. My strap has never come off it. Also, the finish gets scratched and grazed very easily.

As soon as this thing came out of the box it was ready to play (just needed tuning a bit). There were no flaws of any kind.

Made: 2001. 21 medium jumbo frets, on a rosewood fingerboard and a bolt-on maple neck. It has an alder body. Mine has a brown sunburst finish with a white pickguard. It has a strat-style body with a string-thru body and a standard tremomlo bridge. There is a 5 way pickup selector and 1 volume and 2 tone controls. There are 3 single-coil pickups, and it has chrome hardware.

mark-do
    Wow, what an amazing sound, especially for the price! Ive played Fender Strats, Gison Les Pauls and I gotta say It definetly competes.
    hahah im sorry i just had to say somthing, WHAT THE FUCK ARE U TALKING ABOUT! this thing blows. u obviously know nothing about guitars if u think it competes with those.