Affinity Strat review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
Squier: Affinity Strat

Purchased from: Alto Music, Middletown NY

I play classic/not so classic rock, and its done an ok job of holding up for the last 3 years. I play it through a Marshall Valvestate combo with a boss flanger and wah pedal. The guitar is very noisy in positions 1, 3, and 5. Pickups have strident tone. As with most strats, it has a wide variety of tonal combinations, however, the sweep is much less noticable on the Squier.

For the budding guitarists out there who want to move into the electric world, I'd say avoid this guitar. Although it's cheap, quality suffers. If youre thinking about getting into guitar for real, I'd get a Highway One Strat (made in america and only costs 600bucks) or at worst a Standard Strat. If I could adjust the action and intonation on the damn thing id still love it. But it falls apart after several years.

I used this guitar for three years in our gigging band without problems. I broke a couple of strings due to a burr left from a previous string. After polishing the burr out, everything was good again. After 3 years however, the truss rod does not do much for adjustments, and I find it impossible to intonate the darn bugger.

Setup from the factory was outstanding. We lovingly refered to it as the best playing Squier of the modern era. The pickup heights were perfect, however one adjustment hole on the pickup and pickup cover were broken. The frets were pretty well done. The nut however left much to be desire.