Affinity Strat review by Squier

Squier: Affinity Strat

Purchased from: Long & McQuades

The sound on this guitar was great! The pickups were easy to adjust, and though at some times they were noisy, I found they were great for just about any kind of music. The guitar could make many different sounds just by playing with the tone knobs. I found that if you set the pickup selector between the bridge and middle pickup and turned the tone knob to 0 on the middle pickup, the guitar sounded somewhat distorted and kinda spacey, with a little bit of high end squeal and buzz when the strings were bent. I also found that the combination of bridge and middle pickup, with tone set to full, was much better than just the neck pickup, and acted almost like a humbucker, getting rid of most of the extra noise, and sounded great on distortion on an old Fender amp. Once again, great for a starter guitar!

I think this is a great guitar for musicians, both beginers and people limited financially, and just anyone else looking for a great guitar at a good price. I've been playing for about two years, and this was my first guitar, I'm getting another soon, next I think I'll get a Jackson RR5 or RR3. My favourite feature on this guitar is that it is very easy to customize the features and make it your own. I would have to say that if you're looking for a new guitar, but you're not sure what to get, buy this, both because it's reliable, and that if you don't like it, you'll probably be able to buy something else.

This guitar can take a beating! I play very aggresively, and this guitar has lasted almost 2 years so far, still in perfect condition (or close enough). The strap buttons are pretty good. The top one is fine, but the bottom has given me some problems before, but then I bought a good strap, a Levy's strap, and that seemed to have fixed the problem. This is a very depndable guitar, and if I were on a stage performing, I think that it would last an entire show. I play for at least an hour every day, and if this guitar can last me this long, it'll last ayone else for years!

I think the action on this guitar was good, not too high to make playing hard, but not too low to make it impossible to use a slide. The pickups were adjusted well though I re-adjusted them to suit my playing style. Everything was properly routed, and as far as I'm concerned, there are no flaws whatsoever on this guitar.

I'm not really sure when this guitar was made, but I know it was made in China. There are 21 medium-large frets on a rosewood neck, and its a solid-top, solid-body design, like most Stratocaster shaped guitars. It has a very simple metallic black polyurethane finish, and came with a 1-ply white pickguard. It came with a Syncronous tremolo, which I found was great for a guitar at this price. I've gone to guitar stores and tried other guitars, and this one's tremolo compared to the tremolo of an Ibanez or a Vintage Gretsch, and was very easy to use. There are two tone controls and one volume control, all of which work very well, though I have replaced the original knobs. It has chrome hardware, and standard die-cast non-locking tuners, not any specific brand. The pickup selector works well, I found that at first the pickup selector would always be switching on its own, but after using this guitar for a few weeks, everything was fine. There are three single-coil pickups, though I dont know which kind. Very good for a starter guitar.