Affinity Strat review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 6.6 Neat
Squier: Affinity Strat

Purchased from: Guzzardo's

The sound on this guitar is not as bad as many people would lead you to believe. Most the people who hate this sound bought it without knowing the difference between humbucking and single coil. The sound is close to the Fender Strat but this being a cheap guitar you can't expect it to rival an . I personally am in to Eric Clapton/Hendrix type of stuff and this guitar was good enough for me to start out on. If you buy this guitar and can't afford an upgrade just put in a Hotrails pickup at the bridge and it'll be as good as new.

This guitar can be made to match most styles of music. This was my first guitar after switching over from Bass (which I played for four years)and it got me started on my path to being a lead and not just a bassist. I wish I had looked at the price options more. After This I have owned an Epiphone Les Paul 100 and a Lace Huntington which are both much better guitars than this for only $100 more. If it was stolen I'd laugh at the dumbass who stole it. If you like fixer upers this could be a good base for a project guitar or a first guitar, or something to destroy in a live show. Though I will say that it's better than an Epi Les Paul Junior.

This guitar is tough but I wouldn't gig with it for fear of being laughed off stage. If you really want to, put some better pick ups on and remove the Squier name from the Headstock. The strap Buttons, hard ware etc. seem cheap but tough. The finish is extremely tough. I guess this guitar would be good if you wanted to pull a Pete Townshed and smash your guitar up and/or throw it into the crowd for your last song.

Heres where this guitar really annoys me. Everthing on the body was fine but the neck had problems. The frets were very abrasive (my fingers would start to bleed after a song with some finger sliding) the wood in general was fine but the Fretboard is one the cheapest I've ever played. It feels like balsa wood. The neck itself was fine and has good action. Anyway I filed down the frets myself (don't attempt if you have no experiance) and sanded the Squier name off the headstock so now it's better.

Came with a cheap strap and a crappy cord. Standard Fender Strat frets. Body is alder neck is maple/rosewood. Bridge is standard tremolo. 1 volume 2 tone nobs 5-way selector. Non-locking tuners. Candy red color (really wish I had gotten black).

Hippy_Jew
    I have this guitar and love it except i have one thats sligtly better, it has an extra pickup instead of the slanted one theres 2 horizontal ones! Besides that i love every extra feature its got that twangy original strat sound. Perfect weight, very comfortable. Don't trust me though this is my only guitar so i have nothing to compare it to besides my dad's jumbo acoustic w/ 12 inch long frets. (its not in the best shape) but a takamire is a takamire.