Affinity Strat review by Squier

Squier: Affinity Strat

Purchased from: Allan's Music

This sort of guitar suites my style very well (Pink Floyd, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix), the only thing that I don't like is the fact that I can't get a Jimmy Page distorted humbucking sound out of this (guess I gotta save up and buy a les paul). I'm using a crappy Fender 15G amp with it (this was my first purchase, I didn't know better) but as I'm not currently playing in a band I suppose its not that important, although a tube amp would be nice. The guitar is noisy when near the amp or interference, but it's only really bad when on high gain. This guitar has get a fair variety of sounds, but as I said lacks that little bit of extra grunt of a humbucker.

This is a good match for the style of music I want to play, and my budget. It was my first guitar, and really I didn't know exactly how to go about buying a guitar. I've been playing for about half a year now and know you could probably get something a bit better for the money. But still this is a good beginner guitar, nice neck profile easy to use etc. If it were stolen I'd save up and buy a Fender Strat or an Epiphone Les Paul depending wat sound I wanted to achieve. One thing I do hate is the fret buzzing on this thing (when you buy it change to 10 gauge strings). My favourite feature is the nice Strat sound you can get out of it despite the shitty pickups and thats probably wat I wish this had, better pickups and electronics.

This guitar could probably withstand live playing, but with a Squier I wouldn't want to show it in public anyway. The hardware should last, and the finish seems reasonable. All in all a fairly reliable guitar for the price.

This was set up surprisingly well from the factory, but as it wasn't out of a Strat Pack box maybe someone from the shop had a tinker with it and improved the set up in order for them to be able to sell it. The action was nice and low. The pickups were well enough adjusted, and the sunburst finish really does look sexy. There were a couple of blemishes on the back of the neck near the headstock and body, and the input jack comes loose, but besides that the set up and finish is quite good.

This Affinty Strat was made in China. It has 21 Vintage frets, 3 passive single coil pickups (ceramic), 5-way selector switch, 1 volume, 2 tone knobs tremolo bridge, crappy standard die cast tuners, maple neck and fingerboard, and alder/agathis body. Mine's the Vintage 2-tone sunburst colour. I stress to you all if you are looking at getting one of these things, don't get it in the pack where u can only choose from the solid colours. The sunburst ones may cost a bit more, but the type of wood used is superior.

USAPeavey
    C'mon, just because its a Squier doesn't mean it sucks. This guitar has better tuning stability than my Ibanez. Of course it doesn't sound great stock, but its a gerat project guitar for someone who doesn't have any experience with mods. My friend has one of these with locking tuners, DiMarzio P'ups, and copper shielding, and it sounds much better than my fender standard, for about the same price.
    thegrungyhippie
    Big$MIke#gibson wrote: hey spade_sanosukeX clapton played a strat along with hendrix so next time you talk try thinking first dumbass
    didnt play squiers there buddy...
    punkman_123
    Still got my Squier, wish I could take my review back now... Anyone know how to do that?
    Zupertiger
    This guitar may be a good beginners guitar, but overall the guitar itself is fu**ing shit. The pickups are noisy as hell for example. One of the reviewers pointed out that the whammy-bar snapped. I've been out to that myself. If you want a second guitar, DON'T BUY THIS ONE. I don't say that all squiers are shit, the standard strats are pretty decent, but this model sucks.
    hawk5211
    ok so for a first guitar berely decent, personally mine doesnt hum at all, cuz as im told the mid pickup is reverse wound on mine, but the sound is really weak, and it has a small nut width, its brutal. for the 170 i paid for mine its barely decent, but its starting to lose it after only about a year and a half of use. If you get the pack with this in it, the amp is the biggest piece of crap ever. it buzzes like crazy
    jellyhead
    depending on how good the player is dependes on how good this guitar sounds, cos i know a guy whos been about six and makes these guitars brillient!
    kirbyrocknroll
    kurt_isnot_dead wrote: does this guitar hum or not?
    If you use only single coils, probably it will. Also depends on your amp and electronics arou d your guitar and things of that nature.
    Triviumfan54
    This guitar has got to be the worst guitar in the world. i am soo burning mine now that ive got a new one