Affinity Strat review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 6.6 Neat
Squier: Affinity Strat

I play mostly rock ranging from Metallica to Nirvana to Green Day (simple but fun)to Three Days Grace and other stuff, even The Beatles occasionaly. The guitar can handle this stuff but only because I play on a Spider II modeling amp. The Frontman included can't really make a wide range of sounds because it has a decent clean setting and really bad fuzzy distortion. The guitar is very noisy! Crackling, humming, all that jazz. The Frontman included sure doesnt't help but I still get this on my Spider. To it's advantage though there is less noise if you set it to combine to pickups. The 5 settings can get you a variety of sounds, but only to a certain extent.

I've been playing for a year or two but I play a lot so I'm pretty good. I'm nothing special though. This has been a good starting guitar but if it were lost/stolen I would not try to replace it but instead get another guitar, maybe an Epiphone G-400 or a Washburn. I don't really hate anything except the pickups, I wish it had a humbucker but I don't love anything about it particularly either. It's really nice that the Strat Pack comes with an amp and stuff to get me stared, so it's really good for starters but for experienced players you should keep looking, and I think it's time to move on for me (wish I had the money to upgrade).

This guitar is pretty reliable except that it's poorly put together. The screws are constantly stripping and the nut on the place where you plug in the guitar is always falling off. I've only noticed one little scratch on it, even though there could be a lot more. Other little nicks are my fault, like when I was hitting the splash cymbals on my friends drum set with the head (that was fun).

When I got the guitar, it was all together except for the whammy bar. Sure it was a little out of tune but at least the strings were wound. I like the action on this guitar, seems nice and low. I'm no expert on tweaking the pickups or anything so I can't comment on that. But I have played on my friend's Standard Strat (different from this type which is the affinity) and I didn't like the action. It was very high and uncomfortable but the whammy bar was easier to use.

Made in Indonesia, this 21 fret Squier Strat features a 5-way selecter between three crappy single coil pickups and two worthless tone knobs and a volume knob. It has a pretty comfortable neck and a whammy bar thats fun to use but knocks the guitar out of tune. If you buy the Srat Pack you get some ho-hum picks, a short cord, a strap that constantly falls off the buttons (I reccomend strap locks) and a little Frontman amp that doesnt sound very good. The pack also comes with headphones and a guitar method book to help you learn how to read music on guitar (it also teaches you how to read music period, I already knew because I play saxophone but it really helped apply it to guitar).

Pacifica112J
    For all you asshats who bash this guitar, remember this: You aren't going to find another guitar made of Alder for the price.
    timo1
    thes suck and the package sucks even more u get a shit guitar and a 10 watt practice amp with volume bass middle and trebble no gain
    timo1
    he played a strat but not a squier
    Big$MIke#gibson wrote: hey spade_sanosukeX clapton played a strat along with hendrix so next time you talk try thinking first dumbass
    longbow01
    Hey this is my second comment on a guitar on this sight. Well bought my son a Chineese made Squire Fat Strat so he could learn on it. 20th Anniversary model. It is blue with white pickguard. Neck was dipped, strings sucked, pick ups started to come up and were at a severe angle. I was pissed. But thankfully we are minutes from the HOG in Roch. NY. Took it over there to the tech, this older fella Bob. I think that was his name. Anyways had him tune it up. Worth the 50 bucks it cost to have the pickups aligned, D'Adoria strings put on, frets/neck polished, intonation set, neck waxed and guitar tuned. Totally different guitar now. The thing plays like a Strat should play at least that is what he told me. Frets super easy and it seems much faster across the strings to me at least and I haven't been playing that long but if it is that noticeable to me who knows nothing well then it must be good! The 5 way switch I can only detect where you can get 3 distinct sounds from it but all 5 do work solidly in the positions. The neck is now straight as an arrow and the guitar has stayed in tune for just about a week. Dead nuts on. Now this isn't as good a guitar as the Huntington I purchased I don't think, but the Strat is still pretty darn good now. thanks and keepem sharp
    d_jinn
    hmmm could anyone comment on the neck ... i mean how is it ... fast n other things??