Affinity Strat review by Squier

Squier: Affinity Strat

Purchased from: Kosmic Sound

I play mainly rock, blues, a bit of classical/accoustic stuff and a bit of metal. This guitar suits it perfectly! You can get so many different sounds out of this guitar. I'm currently using a Dean 15 wat amp, this goes well and has great distortion (better than my old Telecaster copy). This guitar does have a lot of hum. you need 2 get it shielded (look this up in a guitar book, or on the internet if you don't know how). The guitar can make a whole lot of different sounds from Hendrix to Lynyrd Skynyrd, to Led Zepppelin, to Neil Young. I could go on all day!

This is a perfect guitar for me at the moment, I've been playing it for about two months (as of February 24, 2007), I wish I had of asked if this guitar was shielded, but I didn't, this was OK because I got it shielded for free (I did this with my friend Who knows a lot about guitars). If this guitar was stolen or lost, I'd probably wanna buy a Fender Stratocaster or an electric guitar with a locking nut mechanism. The thing I love is the asthetics (looks). Mine's black and if you apply a coat of methylated spirits, it's all shiny and cool! The main thing I hate is that it goes out of tune easily if you use the wammy bat 2 much, but I don't use it that often so it doesn't really matter, my favourite feature is the pickups and the volume nob. I compared this to some les pauls but I didn't really like the feel of LP'S or the pickups, so I got a Strat instead. I wish this had a locking nut mechanism, but wat r you gonna do!

I think this guitar will withstand live playing, the hardware will probably last, the strap buttons are very solid, I can always dpend on my Strat, but my strings need replacing about once every 1-2 months because the strings flake easily (I don't recommend Bullet strings, get other ones). I think this guitar is good enough to last any player.

This guitar was not set up as I would like it, when I went to shield it, it was quite difficult due to there been a lot of glue used in the making. The pickups were adjusted well, the bridge was routed well. This guitar had a lot of hum and a rattle on the 6th string (hitting the truss rod when I played), but I fixed these by shielding it and adjusting my truss rod (again look up "adjusting guitar truss rod" on the internet if you don't know what this is). You will need a alemm key to adjust the truss rod, which will come with the guitar if you buy it at a guitar store (if you buy it off e-bay or from a pawn store you might not get this).

This factory made guitar has 21 frets, it's a solid body electric with a Strat body, has a synchronous tremolo bridge (no locking nut, so it goes out of tune easily if you use the wammy bar too heavily), there's a 5-way pickup selector, a volume nob, and 2 tone nobs, there's a bridge pickup, a lead pickup and a rythmic style pickup (all single coil), non-locking tuners, and I bought it just by itself.

theguitarist
    Try to post negative comments about this guitar in a mature way, rather than comments like 'tHiS SUCKS lolZ!!!23!' Checked.