Affinity Strat review by Squier

Squier: Affinity Strat

Purchased from: Dolphin Music

I am into 60'2 music especially Hank Marvin and The Shadows. I have recently acquired a Zoom 508 delay pedal, and am awaiting delivery of a Fender Frontman 65R amp. to bring out the full potential of this guitar. I also have a Zoom G1X multi-effects pedal. I was really surprised at the rich full sounds I am getting from this guitar. This is in part due to the fact I immediately replaced the Fender Strings with RotoSound 9's. I am considering getting Golden Sixties next time, or RotoSound Pinks (13-52).The tone difference in the pick-ups is very noticeable, exactly as it should be.

As I said, I am into '60s and Shads music. If it were lost or stolen, I would definitely by a Fender Strat next time, although I would quite happily have a Squier as a "backup". I also own a Yamaha Acoustic, with a clip-on pickup. I have been playing guitar for 50 years. My last electric was actually a Framus Electro/Acoustic. I play for my own amusement, so I am not particularly worried about backups. I am very pleased with what I have got.

I would quite happily play this guitar Live. I will consider getting locking machine heads, and also strap button "stops". It is solid, and not much lighter than the "real thing". Reliability and durability: certainly built to last, and appears perfectly reliable.

I have not had to touch any part of the set-up. The narrow neck may be off-putting to some people, but the neck is so silky smooth as to make it a very quick action. I quite like the narrow neck, as I find that a wider neck tends to give me cramp very quickly. The nut could have been better finished, but this is such a minor thing. The body finish is immaculate. (I always wanted a red Strat, but I find black rather cool).

Made 2006 Indonesia 21 frets, narrow neck. Rosewood fretboard on a maple neck with alder body. Stratocaster body. Colour black gloss. Usual 3 single coil pickups, 2 tone controls 1 volume control 5 pole selector Switch. String thru body bridge fully adjustable. Tremelo arm. Non-locking generic tuners. Came with Fender strap, 3 Fender picks, tuition DVD and Fender Frontman 15R amp. Allen key for truss rod and spare tremelo spring and long lead.