Affinity Strat review by Squier

Squier: Affinity Strat

I got this guitar back when I was a noob and played rock like (AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, etc.) and it suited that style pretty well. Now I'm currently playing melodic death metal so the stock version is pretty much useless to me. I was playing through the 15g frontman the guitar package came with. Let me tell you if any frontman went on stage with that amp they would be booed off the stage. I now use it through a Line 6 Spider III 75 watt combo and it sounds a hell of a lot better. The pickups do buzz pretty loud, but that is expected from cheap single coils. It can make some decent sounds with the right settings. It also sounds good through a wah pedal.

I play melodic death metal and this guitar would not suit that genre. I have been playing for about 5 years and own 6 other higher end guitars (ESP, Ibanez, Dean). so if it was stolen I would be bummed because after all it was my 1st guitar, but I would move on without it. I loved the feel of it, I had fun with the tremolo, and had some all around good times jammin with it back in the day. I would definately reccomend this guitar to any beginner because, it is a quality guitar for an inexpensive price, and a great way for a beginner to kick off and advance further into their guitar playing career.

I definately would not play this thing Live, I think of it more as a home pratice guitar. Although I do believe it would withstand a Live show but I would recomend strap locks just to be safe. I could depend on it as a last resort, (second backup). The finish can chip or scratch if your not careful, but that really isn't a big deal, as long as it plays were good.

The guitar was setup pretty good out of the box from what I remember. I prefer my action low so I had to lower it a bit, but other that that it was fine. The pickups were like right up to the strings tho so I had to lower them to prevent buzz. Everything seemed to be routed properly and the guitar contained no noticeable flaws. The only problem I ever had with it was the input jak came loose quite a bit, but that was no big deal.

The guitar is a 2003 Squier Affinity series Strat. It has a thin 21 jumbo fret neck. The body is basewood with a cheap rosewood neck. It came with a crappy blue finish and 3 single coil pickups. The tremolo is bad, but all the hardware seems solid. It came with a mediocre Fender Frontman 15G amp, the distortion was so bad it sounded like an electrical problem. It also came with a case, strings, tuner, and pics.