Affinity Strat review by Squier

Squier: Affinity Strat

Purchased from: www.Reidys.com

I play indie, punk, rock and abit of metal. You get a bit of hum off the pickups but nothing major unless you crank the gain up to 10 then you can listen to the god radio channel on the thing (not joking, it's happened). Keep it in low gain or just select to use 2 pickups and it's great. It's good for customizing, the pickups and scratchplate are easily replaced and it comes together easily. I'm looking to add a new chrome scratchplate and a custom light pane to it.

It's great, cheap and good to learn guitar on. great for customizing. All you need for a first guitar really and it will last. I will kepp this until it breaks. Hopefully not because I love this guitar. If your considering it as a first guitar buy it and you wont regret it it's amazing. If you just thinking of getting one then buy it it's brilliant for the experienced player too. It's the best Stratocaster style guitar I've seen apart from the Fender.

Like I said I've dropped it, smashed it on the floor, taken a chunk out of my door and nearly put it through a window and there isn't even a chip in the paint work. The nut on the output needs tightening though it comes loose a lot. The straps fine I carried it around town on my back for an hour once and the strap stayed on fine. I would have to have a backup if I used it to gig though, I would probably use a Fender though to tell the truth when gigging. But this would be a good backup.

The only problem it has when you get it are the strings change them. Then you need to tune and play it's really good. Keeps tuning well after that. I haven't had any problems with mine at all. The pickups came set in the right position, the knobs and Switch work great. Tip glue on the knob on the selector Switch it can come loose.

This guitar is quite good, I know it's got bad reviews but mine is good for what I paid. I bought this for about 150 and it came with a Fender Frontman 15G amp, a case, a few extra Fender picks, Fender tuner, Fender head phones, strap, a Fender patch cord and a few other things. it's ok for beginners the amp isn't too hot tbh but hell this is about the guitar. I've dropped, it smashed it on the floor, taken a chunk out of my door and nearly put it through a window and not even chipped the paint very sturdy. It's a 5-way tone selector and has two tone knobs and one volume. The tone knobs do work, you n00bs below Who say they don't must be very tone death! It has 21 jumbo frets (alright would be better with 22). The pickups are alright but nothing to shout about. Make sure you change the strings though the stocks are useless, once you've done this it'll stay in tune.

MT in Austin
    I have a Squire SSH a friend gave me. After blocking the tremolo, the tuning issues were greatly improved. I did a proper setup and neck adjustment and now the action and intonation are reasonably good. The pickups are fair (not bad) but it is now a very playable guitar. It won't replace my EC1000, Mockingbird SLP or RG470 but it is much better than I expect from a sub-200 guitar.