Affinity Strat review by Squier

Squier: Affinity Strat

Purchased from: Dolphin Music

The sound I am now getting is absolutely astounding. A very '60s "surfy" sound. Bright and clear, and with using the combinations of p/ups, very mellow "jazzy" sound. The bridge/neck combination especially gives a sound almost reminiscent of an early Telecaster. For my style of music, '60s especially Shadows style, this is virtually perfect. Fitting the locking machine heads has made a difference to the sound also, no more out of tune after tremolo.

If this were stolen, apart from buying a Fender Strat, I would definitely track the thief down. For a beginner, or even someone playing for their own enjoyment, this is a pretty good guitar. So all you numbskulls out there, please don't knock it just because it's a Squier.

I would quite happily gig with this, forget the Squier tag as being inferior. With a few small mods., and for the sake of another 50, I have got a 300-400 guitar for about 150 (the practice amp was in the original package price). As I said before, the finish is immaculate, and the guitar appears to be well put together (the body is one-piece alder by the way, I checked when I replaced the p/ups).

I thought that the factory finish was pretty smooth, but my nephew, who is a guitar tech. did a few small "tweaks" on the string heights, and it really is now a perfect set-up. The action along the neck is still so smooth and comfortable. He also relieved the string guides in the nut, and showed me the trick of applying a little pencil lead to them, and to the underside of the string trees.

Since my last review December 21 2007, I have fitted Wilkinson locking tuners (cost 14.99), which seems to have cured any tuning problems, even after heavy use of the tremolo arm. I have also fitted a loaded scratchplate with 3 GFS '64 greybottom staggered pickups. This also has had the following mod, top tone control is a master for all 3 pickups. Bottom tone control works like this, bridge p/up selected and tone on 10, bridge pickup. Dial it back to minimum you get bridge/neck combination.

Ali-b912
    Zenaxe wrote: Sorry but I can't believe how many of the reviewers above gave the action a mark of over 6, 7 or 8/10 or even more for *this* guitar! Huh!? Have they really ever played another electric guiter? It definitely doesn't have nice action and compared to my (not too much more costly) Ibanez, it's nowhere near as easy to play, even after I lowered the Squier's ex-factory action. My Ibanez is world's apart, not only in terms of its playability, but also as to its fit and finish quality. Anyone thinking of trying this really should think twice, about what they want from a guitar and don't just be overawed by its 'Fender' association: This really is Fender's "bread and butter" offering, and I'm sorry I wasted time, when I was a beginner, on such a charmless instrument. Whereas Ibanez have a reputation for spreading quality broadly across their range, judging by this effort, I couldn't say the same of the Squier Strat by ... Fender! The Squier Affinity Strat is a very unimpressive and average guitar and I would definitely not recommend it - even if they are a beginner! After all, why should a beginner's guitar have to be so average, when other manufacturers are offering a world of a difference in playability for not much more paper!? Squier Strat: 4/10
    these reviews are more about value for money. not how it compares to other guitars. if it was compared to other guitars i would give it a 1. as far as value for money this thing is damned good. i have an ibanez too and its loads better then my friends squier affinity, but a (korean) ibanez SA is for intermediate players whereas a squier affinity strat is for beginners only. they are a different guitar aimed at a different player. if a player isnt a prick he will be glad he had the guitar even if he outgrows it relatively happy. its only when you buy a guitar that is horribly not worth what your paying for it that you should be giving it a shit rating. this thing is worth the $250 or so you pay for it.