Affinity Strat review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 6.6 Neat
Squier: Affinity Strat

Purchased from: River City Pawn

I play rock and metal, anything from Pearl Jam to Lamb Of God. With the guitar I got a 30 watt Crate GFX amp. The guitar plays well with a clean tone, although the sustain is awful, but once I turn on the amp overdrive, the tone sounds realy bad. This was solved, however, when I bought a DigiTech Hothead distortion pedal from a friend. When in clean tone, I usually have it on the first pickup setting, but when distorted, it varies on what I am playing. If playing grunge or something the first or third setting is best, but if playing metal, I have it on the second. Overall, not too shabby.

The 3 single coil pickups make for some good versatility, however, I would much prefer a single coil and a dual coil humbucker, which would better suit my interests. Overall it is good guitar for what we paid for it and it would make a good second guitar, but as soon as I save up some money, will start looking for a replacement, most likely, a Dean Vendetta or something.

I realy wouldn't trust this guitar for a live show. This is definetly a practice guitar. It comes out of tune too easily and doesn't have good enough sustain to put on a good performance. This is a pretty tough guitar and has withstood tipping over, being dropped, and being hit by doors, while only coming out of tune. For what I am doing now, which is just practicing and jamming with friends, it is relatively dependable, but if we actualy start gigging, I'll seriously need a replacent.

Like I said, I bought the guitar used, so take that into consideration. The strings badly needed replacing, and the neck was bent up. Also, the previous owner used the tremelo, which left the bridge loose, and as a result, the strings were almost a 1/4 inch off of the fret board which made playing difficult and staying in tune almost impossible. However, these problems went away with a little proffesional maintnence, and now plays pretty well.

This is my first guitar, of which I got for christmas. I was thrilled when my parents unveiled it because I was expecting a First Act or off brand peice of crap. However a few months later, having learned how to play and playing some higher end guitars, I realise that it isn't all that much better. When I got it, it came with a gig bag. It has 21 frets, a 5 way selector and three single coil pickups. I am not sure what brand strings were put on it, but they were out of tune and bent up, needing replaced. Nothing out of the ordinary for a cheap, used guitar.

TremontiIsAGod
    This thing blows. Buy a Dean evo or vendetta xm- reltively same price, whole hell of a lot better
    SupermanIsDead
    this is a real "state of the crap" copy of a real "state of the lame" guitar or the "can't play no metal" guitar
    The Blue Flame
    this was my first guitar, and i think it would be good for a biginer. dosen't do metal very well but is good for rock like Zepplin, Floyd, Hendrix, Skinerd, and all of the outher bands very easy playin. i got mine for 100 used, if you are a beginer ger one!
    ray10010
    Is there any difference between the squier affinity strat special and the regular?
    metalmania616
    Got one of these, my first electric. I thought it was decent enough a year ago when all I could play were about 2 chords, looking for a dean or Ibanez now though.