Affinity Strat review by Squier

Squier: Affinity Strat

Purchased from: eBay

This guitar doesn't sound bad at all. In fact, there isn't really that much difference between this and a Standard Strat. The neck pickup gives a warm, rich sound which is perfect for playing blues chords and whatever. However, Steer clear of the bridge pickup as this can Hurt your ears! Seriously, the sound it produces isn't very nice at all; I have heard it been compared to an ice pick attacking the ear drums! This is the guitars only flaw, and although it is a bit of a let down, it's is easily resolved by simply keeping the Switch towards the neck pickup and adjusting tone controls via the amp.

You've probably heard already that this is a cheap guitar ideal for beginners, and indeed this is very true, however, I believe that for the money this guitar goes beyond all expectations. I have been playing electric guitar for years and own a selection of guitars including this guitars bigger brother; a Standard Strat and I still find myself picking it up and getting huge satisfaction from playing it! It's a lot lighter than a Standard Strat and slightly smaller, and it's just so playable. I believe this guitar is seriously under-rated, the only thing holding this guitar back from being a highly rated, credible guitar is the name on the headstock. Squier is seen stereotypicaly as the cheap and cheerful introductuary guitar for beginners. No guitarist wanting to turn pro would be seen anywhere near this guitar becuase of the image given off by Squier. This is such a shame because this guitar is almost faltless. If this guitar was stolen, I would be devastated, probably more so than most other, more expensive, guitars I have owned.

Simply, this guitar would have no problem with live playing. It's hardly going to fall apart. This guitar would last for a long, long time and I know this because it is built in virtually the same way as the most successful guitar ever; the Fender Stratocaster. All hardware is fine, and absolutley nothing to worry about. Finish is tough as well, although after 7 years mine has a few dints and cracks. I would always gig with a backup, but 99.9% of the time, this guitar would not let you down.

I bought this guitar second hand and therefore it was probably setup to the specification of the previous owner. Since I bought it I haven't felt the need to change anything on it. The action is low which is good for beginners and stings are easy to press down. I prefer to have 9 gauge strings on all my guitars, and something worth noting is that on this guitar, the stings are much harder to bend. Not really a problem, it just requires some adjustment i.e. slightly stonger finger bending. There are absolutely no faults with this guitar and seems as though it was very carefuly made. The bridge is properly in place, as are the pickups, and obviouly the neck is straight and sturdy. Nothing worth mentioning really.

Mine is the 20th Anniversary Squier Affinity. It's made in China, has a rosewood neck and 22 medium jumbo frets. The finish is a glossy sunburst that looks beautiful; it may be a cheap guitar but it doesn't half look pretty! I bought this guitar second hand on eBay, it was the second guitar I ever bought and now, years later I have finally got round to writing a review for it. I won't bore you with the gritty details because I'm sure other reviews have stated it's features already. The only thing I will say is that it has a nice, chunky headstock which is seriously vintage! Being a 20th Anniversary edition, it also has a cool emblem on the metal plate on the back, a nice touch on a cheap guitar!

lupesala
    its a good guitar for people who are lerning and their parents dont want to get them a guitar that is higher quality(fender,Gibson,PRS) if they arent sure that they are going to stick with it. It happens all the time a kid begs for a fender or guitar over 500 dollars so they can learn 1 song then quit playing sorry for the long comment.
    fretman5000
    I own this guitar and it isnt bad. I plan on getting a new one though. By the way, that bastard lupesalsa doesnt know jack about this guitar and has probably never played one of these. Its a good axe for the money but youll want a new axe after about a year.
    jblittlefield
    jellyhead wrote: depending on how good the player is dependes on how good this guitar sounds, cos i know a guy whos been about six and makes these guitars brillient!
    Yep, I have several friends who play Squiers as "back-ups" and they make 'em sing. I have an Affinity Fat Strat myself - added a SD JB-4 HB and two SDD rails, Sperzel locking tuners, and GraphTech nut and saddles. Wired it for HB/SS on the Hot Rails and blocked out the trem bar. Plays as good as any median-priced Fender I have ever owned/played