Affinity Strat review by Squier

Squier: Affinity Strat

Purchased from: Morrell Music

On a mainstream note, I play a variety of Alternative Rock to Death Metal and have not found any massive fault in the sound of my guitar. Of course, the single coil pickups create the usual buzzing when the gain is turned up over 7 so there is alwasy a slight buzzing when not being played, but during action they hold up to a medium Standard. Easily fixable by replacing the pickups. I use my guitar with a DigiTech RP70 and aside from the previously stated buzzing according to how the gain is set, it still holds up fairly well.

I would have to say that the neck on this (rosewood) is the most comfortable neck I've been blessed to play. The transitions up the neck are extremely smooth. The biggest problem is that the single coil pickups buzz at high gain. I'm replacing the bridge single-coil with a humbucker, so that won't be a problem anymore. Great guitar for beginners and extremely customizable for experienced veterans.

I've dropped this guiar multiple times, hit the headstock on furniture, and dropped it when the strap fell off. Each time I expected something bad to happen. Nothing. The worst that has ever happened is being knocked out of tune. Easily fixable. The finish was even all around and no scuffs have occurred throughout being dropped.

I must have gotten lucky when I purchased this guitar. The pickups were adjusted at even intervals and no problem was detected. The only fault I can note is my volume knob is mildly crooked. The neck has stayed straight through various beatings and the action is set at a comfortable medium. No too light, not too high.

As a sixteenth birthday gift, me and my parents went out and picked up the Squier Affinity Strat Starter Rig with the Fender 15G Frontman Amp. The Amp is another story. I own and play a ruby red 2007 Squier Strat, 21 frets, 5-way pickup selector, 3 single-coil pickups, solid body, rosewood fingerboard, and Squier tuners. Fender Frontman 15G amp, soft gig-bag, Fender tuner, Fender cable. Good purchase and the guitar has yet to fail me.

Lil Macker
    TremontiIsAGod wrote: justinb904 wrote: new bridge and pups and this thing can sound great, regardless of what other say, it's a great guitar for the price and easily modified the only problem is you'd be spending as much money modifying as you spent buying the damn thing
    But people buy it to modify it; it's like 100, made from real alder and it's a beast to play! I'd buy one for a first/modding guitar.
    brownsfan456
    I have one and after 4 months I've already outgrown it. The pickups are all right but give a lot of fuzz