Affinity Strat review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Squier: Affinity Strat

Purchased from: Ebay

The pick ups just don't growl, very cheap, but they are clear and solid. The pick up selector is very cheap too, noisey and stiff. If you put this through some pedels it sounds better but it does not have much of a range in sounds even going from pick up to pick up. I may just Switch out the pick guard and all the works for a better set. But what it comes with is really really low budget. I play through a Vintage 70's Kustom III Lead SC as my main amp, its kick ass.

I play lound and fast garage/punk/blues/rock/jazz noise. This guitar works well all jazzed up with my mods, but new it with stock stuff it just coldn't hold up. Been playing for over 30 years. I also have a bunch of Vintage guitars including a 78 Les Paul Custom, 68 Fender Mustang, 58 Gretsch Anny and a bunch more. Picked up a 04 Fender fat Strat that I really love and have been playing alot for the past year. I play through a Vintage 70's Kustom III Lead SC, Killer sound. I knew what I was getting when I got this, its a toy for me, but its evolving into a fun guitar, if you want a good project guitar that you don't need to sink too much money into then pick one of these up cause they are dirt cheap on ebay and pawn shops. Other wise save up your pennies and buy a Mexican made Fender, they are so good and so underated. Like I said above I love the neck and body on this, but every thing else is pretty much just junk, but once you change out all the hardware you can build yourself a fun guitar.

Nah, doubt I will play this live unless I end up changing out all the electronics, but I still may do that. It plays great so on playablity I would want to use it live or in the studio. No way the hardware that came with it will last, the tuners are really crap, they are the big offender on this guitar, and they were the first things I changed. Strap buttons seem fine. Def would not gig with out a back up, but I usually use a Vintage les paul and Strat live, a few other Vintage guitars too, but when I'm done working on this it may be a live ax. The finish could last for ever, but god only knows what all that finish is... Toxic waste? There is a hell of alot of it, chips off well.

For all the cheap features on here I have to say the neck on this guitar is really sweet, mine has a rosewood finger board on a maple neck, its thin and action is low and is easy to play. The frets are a bit high and could use a good crowning but they are passable as is, better than I expected really. Mine has a red finish that I am doing relic work on. The layers of paint on this are really really odd, no idea what is going on between the final coat and the actual wood, but they look great chiped and scratched, but its a very thick paint job, nothing like old or new fenders.

Let me start off by saying that I bought this guitar as a guitar to try some relic finishes and tricks with, so I didn't have high expectiations on quality. No idea what year it is, was made in china. Its as basic as it comes, two really good things about this guitar is the neck and the body, everything else is as cheap as they come, but that's what I expected. I have a few Vintage Fender Mustangs and I would say this guitar reminds me of them. The tuners are horrible, most of the hardware is pretty cheap. Like I said this is a relic job for me and the body is turning out great, its a odd mix of layers and for the life of me can't figure how they built the body, but its looking good as I age it. I have removed the labels, aged the neck and putting a Fender label on it. Adding grover tuners. I may swap out the pick ups cause I just can't get them to growl. But I do love the neck on mine. The bridge is pretty horrible too, intonating it is next to impossible, and I'm a pro at it. The pick ups do sound clean, but a bit too clean for me, good enough for a beginner but if you wanna it to cry you will need to upgrade.

barfrog
    i lol'd at the guy who got this, a Frontman 15G and a few extras for $400....