Affinity Strat review by Squier

Squier: Affinity Strat

Price paid: C$ 284

Purchased from: Tom Lee Music

I'm learning Blues and Rock so the guy at Tom Lee pointed me towards this guitar for it's versatility. He was 100% right. Aside from the guitar itself having a 5 way selector, the amp that came with the package has many sound options. 15 to be exact. For a beginner like myself, you can play with any style of music with this guitar.

Remember that this is from a beginner's stand point. One thing that bothered me was reading reviews on these Squier Strats and people were comparing these to Fender Stratocasters and other mid to high end guitars. Of coarse it's not going to measure up to that kind of competition. It's a beginner guitar and it is what it is. I've looked at other beginner packages and there's a lot of garbage out there. This is not one of them. Bottom line is that it sounds good, it's versatile and reliable. Everything a beginner needs.

The tuners on my guitar could be better. I need to tune just about everyday which is a pain in the ass. It's easy enough though with the electronic tuner it came with. I may put some locking tuners on in the near future. Everything else is solid. Even when upgrading, I think I'll keep it. I've heard of people changing out the pick ups and humbucker with an upgrade and they seem very happy with the results. Would I replace if stolen? No. I would just spend the money on an upgrade. The finish will last as long as you take care of it. Toss it around and you'll damage it just like any other guitar.

Again, I'm a beginner, so I had to do a little bit of research on how the action should be and if it was good. It's amazing what google will do for you. After reading about set up and viewing pictures from websites, this guitar seemed to be pretty good out of the box. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to have a tech fine tune it but I doubt he would change very much. Standing a few feet back, it looks perfect. No flaws on the body and everything is lined up nicely. The only issue I have is that some of the pick guard screws are put in slightly crooked. Grab a screw driver and fix it. Unless the fine folks in Indonesia stripped the threads. A little more care assembling at the factory and I would have given a 10.

I couldn't find the appropriate category on here so I picked the closest one. This is a Affinity Series Strat HSS package with a Fender Bullet 150 amp and accessories. -Not sure what year it was made -Made in Indonesia -Maple neck with rosewood fingerboard and 21 frets -2 single coil pick-ups and 1 humbucking pick-up -1 volume, 2 tone, 5 way selector -Package included Fender 150 amp with dsp effects, cable, gig bag, strap, tuner and picks

Dannomite
    I don't know what all the bitching is about. I have an Affinity Strat and it's a lot of bang for your buck. No flaws on the body and it came out of the box ready to play (with the exception of tuning). You also have to remember that not all Squiers are created equal. There are different series, types of wood, quality of p/u as well as 8 manufacturing Countries.
    Jj795
    Got one , built in 1999. Good starter , but as the years pass on you will mod it..... mines modded and it sounds and feels a lot better.