Affinity Strat review by Squier

Squier: Affinity Strat

Purchased from: Private deal

The frets as mentioned above, ruin this. I don't use the stock pickups but they were alright. The frets ruin a clean sound, especially on the lower strings. If you're looking for lots of gain and bright sounds, this probably won't bother you as much. The guitar sound doesn't have terribly much variety, you could make most use out of it by playing punk, rock, or any combination of the two. I play new wave and this guitar barely satisfies my needs after playing for a year.

As said, I play mostly punk and new wave. Since I've been playing the electric for a year, and this is my first and only electric guitar, I'm so far quite satisfied. Besides, I paid so little for it. It's definitely worth its price. Also, it'll probably last a lifetime. The strings, for sure, won't, but the body will. I'll surely recommend this to all new players, but if you're looking for a second or third electric guitar, I suggest you save for something bigger.

Haha. Okay, the strap buttons suck. They can last a gig though, and they rarely fail you during playing. Other than that, I have to follow what most people have said the guitar's construction could probably support four rhinos. Minor damage is to be expected. If you want my advice, embrace it. This is a cheap guitar and will probably look really cool and retro after years of abuse. If you don't want that, have it repainted. The guitar can easily be repaired or upgraded.

The guitar has no major flaws, you can customize literally everything, if you have the money. Too much noise? Buy a new neck. The sound sucks? Buy new pickups. Don't like the color? Repaint it! Your choices are endless with this cheap guitar. I personally can't imagine myself f--king around with an expensive guitar. I think the guitar, in general, is well put together. It's definitely worth its price, although it probably won't make you a full career.

In short, this is about right for the price I paid. Cheap a Squier as any, volume and two tone knobs, 5-way pickup selector, the works. The tone knobs do work, you'll have to turn down gain/drive/etc on your amp if possible, to notice the difference though. The good about the guitar's constructional features is that it's easily customizable. It's neck is perhaps surprisingly comfortable, but the frets are a disgrace. My guitar also has a rosewood fretboard which ruins most finishes and color schemes you could think of.

jgar12
    This is a pretty good beginner guitar. I have one and i love playing it on some metallica songs like One. It sounds almost the same to the lead guitar, which is an ESP. Dont say i dont know guitars because i have esp, jackson, ibanez. This is a really good guitar
    stoneyman00
    Probably a good beginner guitar, dont know, dont have a desire to try.. why you ask? After a year, you will outgrow it and will have a desire for something a little more real. Your best bet is to get something that will keep you going for a while. It may cost a little more, do some soul searching and get the best bang for your buck.
    gutu
    this guitar sure looks good to play some grunge on a show and then break it.. it's okay sometimes it might sound bad, but for me the price is something that's really good not anything to do with that wierd... this is a awsome guitar to give as gift for people to learn... but i sure would buy one to play a bit some wierd stuff and then break it
    Stevegio
    $300 and $400 for a squire. WOW , you could of bought a real guitar for that price istead of the most overhyped guitar ever sold...$400 gets you a Mexican start and you can fing the used for $300 and their 10 times what a squire is
    wazupwiop
    The key to any guitar is having it properly set up. Many people with (list a major guitar brand name here) guitars have ones that are "cruddy", but most of those guitars need a setup to fix their "problems". 99% of strats (Fender, Squier, or otherwise) will stay in tune if they are properly intonated and the claw is adjusted properly. There are some legit issues with some Squiers though. The major issue with Squiers is that they use 500k volume knobs. If you switch the pot down to 250k, it will sound much better and will have more bass and "body". A loaded pickguard replacement will work wonders, if you are okay with slightly modifying your guitar. Squiers are solid starters, but they need a little bit of tweaking to be "nice" or "good". Go to youtube and learn how to set it up. I have been very impressed by some Squiers that were properly set up.