Affinity Strat review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Squier: Affinity Strat

Purchased from: Oostenhavens Music

It's my friends guitar and I've played on it quite a bit. I play Rock & Roll, heavy rock and metal and it suits rock 'n roll, like ACDC, Deep Purple and Led Zeplin very well. It sound alright for heavier music but I prefer a 2 single 1 humbucker setup for metal. It came with a Fender Frontman 15G amp, which according to me and my friend SUCKS. It makes a constant buzzing noise which irritates the hell out of me. I played it through my Line6 Spider IV 15 and it didn't make that noise, so its definately not the guitar. The overall sound is good, but the amp spoils it.

As I said, it's my friends guitar. He's been playing for about a year and he plays mostly ACDC stuff. I think this guitar suits rock & roll, no somuch metal. I told him to buy a Ibanez GAX30 and a Line6 Spider IV 15 amp. He told me afterwards that he should have, but he says it a nice guitar. I agree, it's good for beginners( I've been playing for about 4 years) but it feel a bit hard.

No, I wouldn't use this guitar to play live. It doesn't stay in tune long enough. You don't have to tune it every hour but it goes out quite fast. The strap buttons arn't very good and the the strap has come loose. Luckily the guitar didn't fall, the head just got bumped. Have to wait and see if the hardware holds, but it looks like it will last long enough. The finifn is still flawless after 4 months, but if it scratches you can just sand it through to the wood and sell it as a Squier Road Worn. I wouldn't ase it live because 've got an SA260, but if I had to I would make sure to have a backup.

Compared to my Ibanez SA260, which is set up perfectly(not over exagurated), this guitar is set up pretty good. I prefer a very thin neck and body and the Squier's neck and body is thicker than my SA260's, but the finish on it is excellant. I don't think the pickups are adjustable, but they seem to be set up well. The Bridge is fixed, but it seems to be the right height. No flaws in the body so far. Very good overall

OK, this guitar was made Indonesia, I'm not sure which year. It has 21 jumbo frets, a solid mahogany string through body, 5 way selection switch, 1 volume knob and 2 crappy tone knobs which can only be used to hold a pick between them. Its red with a white pickguard (WOW, that's exciting).

Monkeyinursoul
    Maybe some of you boneheads should learn to play before you badmouth this guitar! Yes it's a cheap squier, but I don't think anyone here is playing msg anytime soon. For a beginier guitar this is not a bad deal, get a good amp and you'll be pleased with the sound! I own one and it sings, I had to set it up (it was bought second hand) but i'm pleased with the way it sounds through my Fender Mustang amp. I would buy another squier, the brand name dosen't make or break a guitar. Try it and make up your own mind!