Affinity Strat review by Squier

Squier: Affinity Strat

I play all sorts of stuff, from pop-punk all the way through to metal and just about everything inbetween, especially a lot of Muse. On the whole this guitar is reasonable for most of it, although there is some horrible feedback at times. I think that's mainly to do with the amp though (Fender Frontman 15G), which is the one from the starter pack and is pretty god-darn awful. The tone knobs do make a difference but only if you turn them straight from 1 to 10 or vice versa. Pickup switcher is also useful if you want to bring in more distortion. Not a fantastic tone overall but it suits what I want for the time being, and as I've said having learnt on 2 decrepit acoustics it naturally sounded awesome for the first 4 months or so, although that's wearing off now. The overdrive setting sounds pretty good as long as you keep the gain down, otherwise you can't play any chords without it going all awry. Clean setting can sometimes be a bit distorted or muddy but this can often be solved by twiddling the knob/pickup settings.

Not the best guitar around by a long way but if you're a beginner it's worth a punt as it provides the ideal starting place to begin to understand what you want from a guitar. Don't go for the beginner's amp though, it's pathetic and spoils the overall sound of the guitar. As I've said I've been playing electric guitar for roughly 9 months and it's been useful during that time; if it were stolen I'd probably go and replace it simply because I don't have another guitar and it's cheap. Can cope reasonably well with most muscial styles as long as you don't listen too carefully. Overall a god guitar for beginners but I wouldn't reccomend it for the more seasoned musician - having used it as a stepping stone I'm going to upgrade to an Ibanez at the next opportunity.

It's a pretty solid guitar, you could probably whack it against a brick wall and the wall would come off worse. The strap buttons seem solid enough, but the finish isn't fantastic and the pick guard has gotten a bit scratched. Can't comment on the live performance as I haven't played live, but I'd probably trust it for very small scale gigs at least.

It was all set up pretty well, it was even delivered pretty much in tune with only a few tweaks required. The one gripe I do have as some other people have said is that the plastic covering gets stuck under the knobs, and that's really annoying to get off.

No idea what year but it's made in Indonesia. 22 frets, solid, etc etc. Using the stock pickups as I'm too much of a noob to know how to change them. This is my first electric guitar; I've been learning since I was 8 (now 16) on a pair of ancient acoustics up until I got this about 9 months ago. For a beginner you don't really need much more in the way of features than it gives you - it's got enough things to fiddle with to cover most stuff but not enough to confuse you. For a more seasoned player though it's probably a bit limited and dull.