Affinity Strat review by Squier

Squier: Affinity Strat

I play A LOT of punk (Blink-182) and Heavy Metal (BFMV, All That Remains), mixed with the occasional Blues, and it suits all the styles almost perfectly. The only down side being that most distortion pedals have too much treble for Strats, and not enough Bass. I play through a Vox Pathfinder 15R and DigiTech RP90 Multi-effects. I normally use a Humbucker Simulator and some distortion on it varying by the style I'm playing. It's only really noisy when I play through my Danelectro Black Coffee Distorion, but that's mainly the pedal. It has a very wide variety of sounds, but it's true strength is definely clean chords and arpeggios.

Like I said I play Punk, Heavy Metal, and Blues and it suits them perfect. I've been playing for a year and a half and I only own this and a Fender knockoff. If stolen, I would buy a different guitar, only due to the fact that this is the only guitar I've ever owned lol. I love the clean tones, but hate that it needs a bass boost. I wish it had a humbucker in the Bridge spot.

I play live with it weekly during the school year, and it holds up perfectly. The hardware will probably last awhile. The strap comes off occasionally with a leather strap. I play without a backup. The finish will chip if it's dinged on stuff though.

The Guitar was set-up pretty good when I received it. I didn't get it new so I can't comment on the Factory set-up. A side from a few scratches, it looked new.

Mine is a 2003 I believe, made in Indonesia. Unfortunately it's only a 21 fret, but on the plus side it has a rosewood fret board and Jumbo frets I think. It's a solid top with a jet-black finish. Not sure what type the body is, but from Fenders page it should be maple. It's 2003 Affinity series Strat. Even though it's a Squier, it plays really good. It has a tremolo-arm on it (Or whatever it's called). Occasionally it comes a little out of tune, but that doesn't affect the playing too bad. It has 1 Volume and 1 Tone knob with the Standard Fender 5-way switch. It has 3 Fender Standard single coil pickups and upgraded tuners (Unsure of brand).