Affinity Strat review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 5.8 Decent
Squier: Affinity Strat

Purchased from: Music Inn

I use this guitar with a Fender Mustang I and I can get basically any sound from it except metal, which is just as much the amp's fault as the guitar. But with the right equipment, you could play metal, but you'd need a good noise gate because this thing hums very badly. The clean sounds are quite nice, but you still get some hum which is quite bad even for single coils. Therefore I think that a 5 is appropriate.

Overall its an ok guitar. I've had better, I've had worse. I also have a Squier Bullet Strat and in my opinion, you should get one of those instead. For me the pickups seem more clear, and the middle pickup is reverse wound to cut out the hum issue, and to be honest, it feels alot comfier. But that's my opinion, but I'd try them both out together and see which you'd prefer.

The guitar is pretty sturdy and could probably withstand live playing, although you probably wouldn't use it because the sound quality isn't great. I don't gig but I would always take a backup guitar even if I was using a Gibson Les Paul, beause you never know when a string will break or something.

When I got it, the action was very low, which is good for some people, but for me, it was too low. It was so low, it was virtually impossible to get pinch harmonics out. The pickups were adusted well, and the only flaw was that the space in the pickguard for the Bridge Pickup was too big and there is a slight gap inbetween the pickup and pickguard.

Squier Affinity Strat made in 2004 I believe, 3 tone sunburst, maple neck which I believe has medium jumbo frets, 3 Standard single coils, Standard Strat block tremolo string thru, 5 way selector, 1 volume and 2 tone knobs, what you'd expect from a strat.