Affinity Strat review by Squier

Squier: Affinity Strat

The guitar is perfect for my playing style (Rock/Metal). The guitar has some amazing sounds and with the Bridge PU selected you get some harsh lead guitar tones maybe too harsh as the PU doesn't have a tone control. but switching to the Middle pick up you get (with the tone Dialed down) some awesome metal tones crank up the tone and it becomes a lead guitar with some mid range punch. The neck PU gives some typically bluesy tones, and with no tone at all becomes an excellent Jazz Pick-Up. The Included amp is disappointing though as none of the tonal controls work and there is too much treble when in the Drive channel. There is very little noise unless you are near a computer (Earth loop issues).

I normally play Rock/Metal and this guitar has proved more than capable of playing through "Master Of Puppets" and sounding pretty good. I have been playing for almost three years and do not think that this guitar needs anything else (maybe a Humbucker in the Bridge but that's it). If this guitar was stolen I would definitely but another one as it is so tonally versatile. My favorite feature is definitely the Whammy Bar as it means I can imitate some of my hero's greatest solos (Master of puppets Was it worth it?) I think however that the Amp (Frontman 15G) needs a lot more work and why wasn't it the 15R for the reverb? It looses one point cause of the amp but overall this guitar gives off the impressoin of being a steady workhorse compared to my other electric guitars.

I have played live with this guitar twice and don't think I would need a back up ever. The finish is good and will withstand a long long time of playing. The Strap Buttons are solid and haven't come off mid song yet! The Internal hardware seem good enough if a little noisy near a computer but that can be fixed with star earthing.

The Factory set up is perfect the action id nice and low but high enough to play slide on and the tuners stay in tune nicely the Pick-Up selector is a little noisy if a note is being played and you change pick up but it is nothing un-manageable. there were no flaws at all I could see when i got this guitar. The top and Bridge were both all-right and there wasn't anything else.

Model Name: Strat Series; Affinity Series Body: Alder Neck: Maple, Fingerboard: Maple, 9.5 Radius (241 mm) No. of Frets: 21 Medium Jumbo Pickups: 3 Single-Coil Pickups All Squire Standard PU Controls: Master Volume 250k Two tone Pots (Both 250k) Pickup Switching: 5-Position Blade Bridge: Tremolo Bridge Tuners: Standard Die-Cast Tuners Hardware: Chrome Pickguard: 1-Ply White Scale Length: 25.5" (648 mm) Width at Nut: 1.61" (40.9 mm) Accessories: Fender Frontman 15G:(, Strap, Case, Cable, And some Alan keys Introduced: 2004

Sodaberg
    Yes, squiers suck. I've been playing the guitar for almost 9 years (I'm 15), and I've had a squier for 6 years. However, I am not going to buy a fully fledged fender until I can make the money to do so by gigging with my band, because, lets face it, having a shitty squier but being a good guitarist is still better than having your parents buy expensive instruments for you, and not actually being good enough to earn it.