Affinity Strat review by Squier

Squier: Affinity Strat

Purchased from: Danny Rays Music

The sound is actually quite good for such a cheap guitar, I mostly play punk, pop-punk and alternative rock, occasionally metal, and it does a decent job for all. I'm using a Vox AC15, and a Keely modded Boss DS-1 with the gain at 0 as a boost and to add a bit of dirt, and it actually sound pretty good for my type of music, which I said before is mostly punk. The stock single coil pickups do hum obviously but that's to be expected.

Like I said I play alot of punk so this thing handles that great especially with the Seymour Duncan Invader I put in the bridge. I have onlybeen playing for less then a year and it has served me well, and I'm sure it will continue to do so in the future. If it were stolen I would hunt the thief down and take the guitar back, it being my first guitar and all.

Th thing is built like a tank. I don't see it breaking any time soon. The strap would slip off sometimes when I first got it but I've bought strap locks since then and that solved the problem. The finish seems pretty thick and tough, though I haven't dropped it or anything like that yet and I've had for less then a year so we'll see how it holds up. I would use it at a gig, but I would definitely want a tuner pedal on stage and check it after each song, and I wouldn't even touch the whammy bar.

The guitar played great out of the box. Had some minor intonation issues but I've since fixed that. I've also lowered the action just a bit and it plays quite well for such a cheap guitar. It's no PRS, but it'll do the job. Only major issue is the tuning stability isn't very good, so you'll have to tune it quite often.

My guitar was made in 2009 (even though I bout it in 2011)in Indonesia. The Fender website says it has 22 frets though mine only has 21. Rosewood fretboard, maple bold on neck, agathis body. Metallic blue finish. Regular Fender tremolo, goes out of tune if you so much as touch the whammy. Came as SSS, though I have replaced the bridge pickup with a Seymour Duncan invader. The body had an HHH rout. 1 volume, 2 tone, and 5 way selector switch. Mine was in a start pack so it came with everything.

rv_phoenix
    MarkoakaNiggaK
    rv_phoenix wrote: Sodaberg wrote: Yes, squiers suck. I've been playing the guitar for almost 9 years (I'm 15), and I've had a squier for 6 years. However, I am not going to buy a fully fledged fender until I can make the money to do so by gigging with my band, because, lets face it, having a shitty squier but being a good guitarist is still better than having your parents buy expensive instruments for you, and not actually being good enough to earn it. Don't jump on the conclusions. Of course, the real thing is the real thing. But, when the real things starts to be Made in Mexico, this ol'truth begins to fade a little. In fact, Squier Classic Vibe Series is better in any respect that many of the MIM Fenders. If you want the real thing, you better go to the music shop and check for the guitars yourself (some, but not many, of the MIM Fenders have escaped the genetic curse: I've tried a very good Classic '70s recently). Or, if you have enough money to spend, go for the upper range of Strats, those made in Japan or USA. But that's about 1200-1500 euros. And it's lot of money. If you're not ready to spend so much, give a try to a Squier Classic Vibe '50 or '60. You'll be surprised. Not to mention the possibility of replacing the pickups with some Fender Custom Shop '54 or '69, and still remaining way below the price of a Fender MIM.
    rv_phoenix
    MarkoakaNiggaK wrote: or try the hotrails deluxe by squier...its an well made gitar that is very close to the mid range fenders...and if u replace the neck with a acrilic one by fender u got your self a monster that you'll love...
    Absolutely right. Even the Squier Standard Deluxe is very good. Squier's upper range is a great base for modding, because all you need to replace are the pickups (perhaps the hardware, too, if you're unlucky). Then nobody will notice any difference at all.