Affinity Strat review by Squier

Squier: Affinity Strat

Price paid: A$ 220

Purchased from: Guitars Plus

I use a LX12 practice amp with my guitar which sounds great; I'd recommend using this amp with this guitar. The great thing about this guitar is that you can practically play any sort of music with it. It sounds great for hard rock, jazz and blues but kind of lacks that bass punch for metal which I do play a lot. When it comes to tone I really cannot hear any difference in tone when I change the setting on the tone knobs though and I always leave the volume knob on ten because you can't hear yourself otherwise.

Overall this is a perfect first electric guitar. For $220 AUD you get some pretty good features and I doubt you will find a guitar that's better for this price. It's great for all types of music and even though some of the factory settings aren't that good it still continues to impress me today. A highly recommended buy.

I've been playing this for ten months and played live once at my school talent show. I've had no problem with reliability or durability so far. All the harware is solid and is screwed in well. I think that it'll still look great after at least three years of playing.

This is where it gets pretty bad. The action is nice and low but that's really the only thing I can say that's good about it here. The factory strings sound dull and lacks any sort of liveliness what so ever but they do last a long time. After about six months of playing I broke a Sting and got some Ernie Balls put on. They made it actually sound like a whole new guitar! Also there are only two of the five pickup settings that don't make a loud buzzing noise when selected even on a clean amp setting and the low E string makes a buzzing noise if strummed too hard. The pick up selector switch can also be pulled off easily leaving a bend piece of metal. The jack input also for some reason seems to screw itself loose.

At the first look this guitar is great. It looks exactly like a Fender Strat and has many features of the American standard model. Since it's a Squier it's made in Indonesia but it is still of good quality. My particular model has a blue satin finish but you can get black satin, red satin and brown sunburst. The 21 frets are good for playing low down the range but if you want to get up high which a lot of songs do you don't have that extra one fret. 3 single coil pickups which is pretty good and 5 way pickup selector, 2 tone and 1 volume knob and a standard tremolo.