Affinity Strat review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 5.6 Decent
Squier: Affinity Strat

I play mostly heavy rock and blues-rock, and would love to play thrash metal, if my guitar was up to it. I use it with a Fender 15G. Really noisy, and a very thin twangy sound generally. Not full at all. Plays clean decently, and a passable 'crunch', but sounds terrible on anything heavier than AC/DC.

It's just a starter guitar, and I suppose that I couldnt expect Les Paul quality sound. I definitely plan on upgrading in the future. Only buy if you are just starting to learn guitar, and have decided to do so on an electric.

This guitar withstands live playing fine, but requires constant maintenance. If I had backup, I wouldn't be using this guitar; its the worst I've played.

The action is ridiculous. I avoid playing past the 14th fret because of it. The pickups were fine, but I've had to repair the guitar twice in eight months. I once did a bend, and brought my guitar up as I did so, and my neck cracked. Very loose tuning pegs, one of which is broken.

Made in Indonesia. 21 maple frets. Stratocaster copy, with classic looks. Three single coil pickups, 2 two knobs and one volume knob. All really standard. Has a five-way pickup selector, which gives a decent variety of sound.

Minivirus2
    It sounds like the most recent reviewer (June, 11th) thought he was going to be getting a quality guitar. If you buy budget, you get budget. Cough up a little more than $100 if you're expecting a quality guitar with high craftsmanship.
    saint_berzerker
    I can remember being 14 when I first started playing, and had the "squier" as my first guitar. I knew then it was sh*t, and I know now that they're sh*t. Why does anyone even bother with them anymore?